TP-LINK TL-WN823N v2 device strange driver problems and not able to handshake

Welcome. Also incidentally (and perhaps too off-topic?):
  1. For me, create_args_wlan0="country US" and it has never been necessary (for me) to specify regdomain.
  2. When I use the USB installer to configure wireless networking while installing 13.0-RELEASE, it allows me, but notably, doesn't require me, to specify regdomain.
  3. regdomain is not case-sensitive. For country code US, /etc/regdomain.xml specifies rd id="fcc" but <rd id="fcc"> specifies <name>FCC</name>. I get the same results whether I use "FCC" or "fcc" for regdomain in my /etc/rc.conf file. I've tried it all three ways, just to be certain of this. Quoting from /etc/regdomain.xml, "Regdomain code gets this information with the IEEE80211_IOC_DRIVERCAPS ioctl."
  4. At this moment in time, ftp.ics.uci.edu appears to be offline. I don't know why it's offline. ics.uci.edu is not offline. Perhaps their ftp host is down, perhaps they have taken out of service permanently, or maybe it's down for some other unknown reason. I simply don't know.
  5. The file iso3166.txt is likely just a list of country codes, which doesn't reference any regdomain specs. https://www.iso.org/iso-3166-country-codes.html
All of this seems a bit off-topic. Back on topic, riemannesco's country code is probably "FR" for France so his regdomain, if specified, should be either "etsi" or "ETSI":

country FR regdomain ETSI

yes of course.
The following command line

gives me :
Far as I can tell, this device is not supported by FreeBSD, but Andriy would know better than me.

Far as I can tell, this device is not supported by FreeBSD, but [FONT=monospace]Andriy[/FONT] would know better than me.
FreeBSD does support idVendor 2357, idProduct 0109.
But it is always treated as V2. And it's possible that V2 and V3 require different firmware.
I suspect that V2 and V3 can be told apart based on bcdDevice.
But maybe V2 vs V3 difference is more subtle.
It would be great to have a descriptor dump for the V2 variant.

Back