TP-Link Archer T4U Plus Support

I just purchased this USB Wifi adapter but am able to get it to work. I have made sure that the driver is loaded into the kernel. The chipset is rtl8812au. My only guess is that the adapter description/name/type is not incldued..

Request that it be added.

Thanks!

Request that it be added.
Forums are the wrong place for your request, you need to open a PR (Problem Report) on https://bugs.freebsd.org " Report an issue with the base system".

Before reporting, get to know the vendor and device IDs of the WiFi adapter. After getting the IDs attach them to the report.

Execute usbconfig, see which one is the WiFi adapter, look for the ugen<unit>.<address> coordinates (e.g. ugen0.1), enter
Code:
 % usbconfig dump_device_desc ugenX.Y | egrep 'idVendor|idProduct'

FreeBSD has been working on better wi-fi drivers for the last few years. But it could always be that this specific product is not supported. Two years ago I had a similar problem that several USB wi-fi sticks did not work, including one from TP-Link. I didn't get it to work then, but I did find two ways to solve this problem:
- You can use an extender that has an output to ethernet and then connect your PC to the extender via an ethernet cable. Any extender that has an output to ethernet will work fine in this case, and extenders usually have good network performance.
- You can test if NetBSD supports your product's wi-fi antenna. In my case the USB wi-fi sticks then worked fine on NetBSD. I did try NetBSD again recently and noticed that the documentation you find for getting the package manager up and running is no longer up-to-date. But if you have a problem with this I can help you.

Not supported yet:
urtwn(4)
urtw(4)
The urtwn driver supports USB 2.0 wireless network devices based on Real-
tek RTL8188CUS, RTL8188CE-VAU, RTL8188RU and RTL8192CU chipsets.
The letter codes at the end of the model series matter. You can copy/paste the supported model numbers in ebay, amazon or newegg search and get devices that match for under $10USD.

Supported wireless devices are on the Hardware Support web page. Unfortunately, the webpages does not have #tags but wireless devices are about 2/3 the way down.

https://www.freebsd.org/releases/12.4R/hardware/#support

The wikidevi website, now hosted in Russia, is a fairly reliable place to check less common devices for chipsets:
https://wikidevi.wi-cat.ru/TRENDnet_TEW-648UBM

I can think of several instances where FreeBSD documentation lags reality and those trying to help are shooting the in dark. Device recognition by VendorID/DeviceID, firmware loading and driver matching would all be logged in the dmesg. The OP alludes to the fact that driver is now in the kernel but make no mention of the firmware - just that it does not work.

rtwn auto loads the firmware, you don't have to kldload it yourself
a missing vendor/deviceid is highly probable

As it seems to also use the rtl8812au chip I tried to add the missing vendor/device ids in 14.0 by adding the line

RTWN_RTL8812AU_DEV(TPLINK, T4UPLUS),

to sys/dev/rtwn/usb/rtwn_usb_attach.h

and defining it in sys/dev/usb/usbdevs :
product TPLINK T4UPLUS 0x0115 Archer T4U+ / ver 3

I have connected such a device to a Raspberry 4 running 14.0-RELEASE and tried it there. However
attach() fails with:
rtwn0: rtwn_efuse_read: error while reading ROM
rtwn0: rtwn_attach: cannot read rom, error 14
device_attach: rtwn0 attach returned 6

Do I miss something ?

Back