Tor Browser

hobbitus

Hello everyone, I have been looking for Tor Browser (torproject.org) for x86 and ARM. I've noticed a few old threads but not actually any solutions. Any experience or suggestions how to get Tor browser on FreeBSD?
Thank you.

SirDice

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator

The "Tor browser" is just a convenient package that installs and configures various bits and pieces automatically. There is no "Tor browser" package for FreeBSD. That said, it's perfectly doable to install and configure all the various parts that make up the "Tor browser" on FreeBSD. You just have to install and configure everything yourself.

rootbert

I recommend using tor browser, standard browsers leave too many traces. Unluckily I have not yet had time to install it in a linux jail, I am using torbrowser in a VM.

OP
H

hobbitus

I know that the 'Tor Browser' is a package of few things together, there is a good reason why they are configured and provided together.
It may be worth of considering separating the proxy in Jail on ZFS, an approach used by Whonix.

vigole

Daemon

If you're interested in Tor based messaging, there's also net-im/ricochet. It's a P2P messenger, based on the Tor. But, it's not part of Tor Project. That's important, and you have to keep it in mind.

Note:
As a rule, you have to download, verify and install Tor from its official website. There's no official port for FreeBSD, thus you have to use security/tor. But you can always check the submitted patches yourself. It's not complicated, and everyone can do that.

grahamperrin

Daemon

In the absence of Tor Browser, I occasionally used Firefox with a few carefully-chosen extensions and net/torsocks. Not an ideal alternative, but it was enough for me at the time.

mr8ash

In my case if I want to use tor, I would install tor, obfsproxy-tor n and necessary pkg packages. Run tor n and then configure any browser to use it. Works for me.

SirDice

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator

mr8ash please stop using textspeak. We have a lot of users that use translator software. And overusing ellipsis makes you sound uncertain.

gpw928

Getting everything correct for a tor build is a significant challenge, requiring insight, experience, ability, and ongoing diligence.

I wouldn't normally recommend Linux in a FreeBSD forum, but I will say that I run tor in a Debian virtual machine, because it comes as a fully configured and maintained package.

hardworkingnewbie

Getting everything correct for a tor build is a significant challenge, requiring insight, experience, ability, and ongoing diligence
Or you just follow the official documentation provided by the Tor project on how to setup a FreeBSD node: https://community.torproject.org/relay/setup/bridge/freebsd/

It's really not that complicated. Then you do need in addition a browser of your choice pointing to that node, preferably running in private mode of course.

rootbert

Or you just follow the official documentation provided by the Tor project on how to setup a FreeBSD node: https://community.torproject.org/relay/setup/bridge/freebsd/

It's really not that complicated. Then you do need in addition a browser of your choice pointing to that node, preferably running in private mode of course.
this solution is far from ideal ... the changes made to firefox to package the thing in the "tor-browser" is not without a reason, the traceable bits are mostly removed. so whoever is looking for running tor-browser, just do not use a normal browser behind a tor proxy. Better run tor-browser in a Linux VM/Jail (if that is possible)