Closed Too many IXSystem in BSD-related resource or it is a "REDHAT" in BSD World

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi

I'm new in FreeBSD world (but experienced Linux user). And I became interested in resources and information about FreeBSD and trying to figure out what is the relation between FreeBSD OS and IXSystem. All the resources that I have found in Internet - GooglePlus groups aka FreeBSD Central, DiscoverBSD, BSDNow.tv, FreeBSDNews.net, BSDMAG, and other - all of them are saturated with information about products such as PC-BSD, FreeNAS, Warden and so on. For me, as new FreeBSD user, it is very rich self-advertisement on resources that are dedicated to FreeBSD. It is much more logical to see this information on behalf of the news feeds of IXSystem, but not. Or, for you, the IXSystem takes the role that for us (Linux users) plays RedHat and Oracle, who does a great commerce to Linux, and that in fact, control the development of Linux is much more than the usual third-party developers.

No. RedHat controls Linux kernel and contributes 75% of its code. IXL is just trying to sell NAS appliances.

PC-BSD no longer ships with Warden and it is using iocage

Ok, with the same success in the resources that are positioned as the "news of the FreeBSD", should be NetAPP, Sony and Juniper's, because they also want to sell something. However, people who want to read about on the FreeBSD itself, this is of little interest (for me, personnally). So, It is looks like a strange kind of aggressive marketing ;-). I subscribe to a number of these resources, and I feeling that I subscribe on IXSystem news/feed blog with a minimum of information about FreeBSD, but not FreeBSD-information.

The major donors to the Linux foundation are Redhat, Intel, Oracle and, similiar to the US political system, donations strongly determine policy and the direction of development.

I would say the least encumbered BSD is NetBSD but this does not necessarily make for a usable system. Next would be the OpenBSD project. The majority of funding is reported to come from individual CD sales although recently some large donations have made the news. I am not sure how much of FreeBSD funding comes from individuals, perhaps someone could summarize the foundations report.

As far as I can tell, IXSystems make products that use FreeBSD as a base, and add additional functionality and UX on top. They also build hardware and have a strong bias towards FreeBSD comparability.
I believe they have also donated equipment to the FreeBSD project (could be wrong about that though).

Various feeds, podcasts, etc. are either funded/subsidised, in who or part, by IXSystems.
Looking at BSDNow, IXSystsems is one of three sponsors. Producing the show obviously has certain costs involved. Add to that the fact the one of the presenters is employed by IXSystems, and the other is a regular customer, it's easy for there to be a lot of mentions.

All in all, I don't find IXSystems anymore intrusive than various other sponsors. For example, DigitalOcean seem to sponsor just about every podcast I listen to.

Ok, with the same success in the resources that are positioned as the "news of the FreeBSD", should be NetAPP, Sony and Juniper's, because they also want to sell something. However, people who want to read about on the FreeBSD itself, this is of little interest (for me, personnally). So, It is looks like a strange kind of aggressive marketing ;-). I subscribe to a number of these resources, and I feeling that I subscribe on IXSystem news/feed blog with a minimum of information about FreeBSD, but not FreeBSD-information.
Maybe you subscribed to the wrong resources. AFAIK, IX Systems sells storages and they also maintain their own proprietary software that is based on FreeBSD. They do also contribute to FreeBSD code, mainly in storage controller drivers.

I would say the least encumbered BSD is NetBSD but this does not necessarily make for a usable system. Next would be the OpenBSD project.
NetBSD practically has no funding these days (less than 30k annually) and practically contributes little or nothing these days to BSD ecosystem. In its heyday major sponsor was now bankrupted Japanese company Wasabi systems. They used to call all the shots. DragonFly is sponsored by Matt Dillan's private money. Open gets over 90% of funding from people like me who give $10 a month.

I guess you can think about it this way...

If Microsoft went bankrupt, Windows would disappear.

If RedHat and (to a lesser extent) Oracle or IBM went bankrupt, Linux (and its userland) would be hurt and perhaps we would see some change from GNOME and systemd.

If IX Systems went bankrupt, PC-BSD or FreeNAS might be a little upset but FreeBSD would be unaffected (although would need to look at raising additional funds for developers in some other ways).

NetBSD practically has no funding these days
They have had practically the same ending balance that existed in 2010 (actually about $20,000 more). You seem to always claim the demise of NetBSD in some way. We all know you think highly of OpenBSD but it isn't the grandest operating system ever made. I actually find OpenBSD worse today than 5 years ago. OpenBSD also had its moment in the spotlight of doom when they were unable to pay the electric bill, so it really wasn't any better off at the time than NetBSD (actually worse, because NetBSD could pay their bills). I used to run OpenBSD for my firewall but now run it on FreeBSD/ipf, and used to run my mail server on OpenSMTPD but am moving it to Plan9 upas/smtp.

I also find Theo's quote on virtualization quite humorous given his desire to now include a hypervisor in OpenBSD.
You are absolutely deluded, if not stupid, if you think that a worldwide collection of software engineers who can't write operating systems or applications without security holes, can then turn around and suddenly write virtualization layers without security holes.

contributes little or nothing these days
NetBSD's npf was created from scratch with SMP in mind, and from what I've read is better internally designed than OpenBSD's pf and even pf developers were impressed.

NetBSD also has Lua scripting support in the kernel.

Ease up on NetBSD. It's a choice. If some find it their preferred operating system then so be it, but stop the FUD about their collapse.

Ease up on NetBSD. It's a choice. If some find it their preferred operating system then so be it, but stop the FUD about their collapse.

I think they are having trouble although it comes in whispers or outright silence. One example is that there has not been a security announcement, at the time of this post, since 22Oct2015. Yet OpenSSL is part of their core OS and FreeBSD has had numerous security announcements, over the same time period, concerning just OpenSSL.

• Thanks
Reactions: Oko
They have had practically the same ending balance that existed in 2010 (actually about $20,000 more).
They have the same amount of money on their account they had 5 years ago. Do you know why? They are spending under 30K a year. That is a bad sign which indicates lack of any activity.

You seem to always claim the demise of NetBSD in some way. We all know you think highly of OpenBSD but it isn't the grandest operating system ever made. I actually find OpenBSD worse today than 5 years ago. OpenBSD also had its moment in the spotlight of doom when they were unable to pay the electric bill, so it really wasn't any better off at the time than NetBSD (actually worse, because NetBSD could pay their bills). I used to run OpenBSD for my firewall but now run it on FreeBSD/ipf, and used to run my mail server on OpenSMTPD but am moving it to Plan9 upas/smtp.
Yes OpenBSD was at some point unable to pay its electric bill which runs close to 200K a year by small $10 a month contributors like me. Yes that is the price of actually actively developing and testing OpenBSD related software on over 20 architectures. I find the fact that NetBSD which allegedly runs on close to 50 architectures spends less than 30K for electric bills and hackatons combined a red flag.

I find it laughable that you run IPF when even Solaris (IPF was the native firewall of Solaris) switched to PF. If you said that you switched to IPFW or NPF I would find it far more logical. I also find your decision to move your e-mail server to Plan9 as exciting as the stories of my 60 year old mother-in-law about her "boyfriends".

I also find Theo's quote on virtualization quite humorous given his desire to now include a hypervisor in OpenBSD.
I was with you on this one until 2 months ago when we had to move few projects to AWS due to government regulations. I could care less about OpenBSD new hypervisor but I do care that OpenBSD can run now as DomU. It does now thanks to the work on the native hypervisor. Considering alternative firewall solutions (Linux or FreeBSD) I find it somewhat comforting to be able to use OpenBSD on AWS (Xen Dom0)

NetBSD's npf was created from scratch with SMP in mind, and from what I've read is better internally designed than OpenBSD's pf and even pf developers were impressed.
Which sounds great until you realize that their network stack is not SMP safe unlike network stack of OpenBSD 5.9 including PF (which is still work in progress).
http://undeadly.org/cgi?action=article&sid=20160302155046

NetBSD also has Lua scripting support in the kernel.
Have you tried? No of course not, because it is a vaporware:)

I was not saying anything about NetBSD collapse until you started. I was discussing funding of various BSD projects.

You find it laughable I run ipf and Plan 9?

I really don't give a flying ^%#* what you think. I could make rude comments too, but I'll restrain myself.

Lua in the NetBSD kernel does exist and OpenBSD pf isn't even SMP capable.

Yet you find ways to mock NetBSD and be rude to users. Are you Theo's cousin?

There are unfair and distorted things that can be said about anything, and the challenge is to be able to disagree without being rude or insulting.

Can we summarize this thread as "BSD news sources sponsored by iXSystems seem to have ads for iXSystems"?

Purkuapas Your rapid posting of complaints on this board is very troll like for someone who admits they know nothing about FreeBSD and that you are a Linux advocate. This board of serious, professional users will not tolerate this as they do on most Linux boards.

I'm sorry if my question is not look professionals, or someone hurt. But we must see in every person trol - perhaps for you everything is obvious. I share the observations. for the question, I chose the most convenient topic - Offtopic. Please read the description carefully before you blame a person for non-professional questions.

PS: Thanks to everyone who responded on the topic. I'm really interested in this issue

Purkuapas For someone who admits he doesn't know much about FreeBSD, you are making accusations in two threads proving your point that you don't know what you are talking about and now asking for forgiveness. A smart person would, instead, sit back and listen and learn instead of allowing themselves to be branded a troll.

I am shocked you haven't been banned and your threads closed since both are based on complete ignorance and nonsense.

Purkuapas For someone who admits he doesn't know much about FreeBSD, you are making accusations in two threads proving your point that you don't know what you are talking about and now asking for forgiveness. A smart person would, instead, sit back and listen and learn instead of allowing themselves to be branded a troll.

I am shocked you haven't been banned and your threads closed since both are based on complete ignorance and nonsense.

I'm already received responses from more adequate people than you. Moderator, please close this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back