to update 9...

hi folks! well i'm very pleased with 9 but need to no how to keep update my system? i have all in binary i ask here cause didn't see like a section focused on 9 stuff...

is correct
Code:
freebsd-update
and that's all?

thx and plz don't tell me '9' isn't 4 me...

There is no binary update for any /head branch and never will be. You'd have to setup your own updating server for that.

dude...the 'objection' here is i do not wanna to waste another plastic[aka cd]on lifetime
devilgrin.gif

I don't really get your objection. What FreeBSD version do you have and which version do you want to have?

FreeBSD 9-CURRENT is a development branch; there are no binary releases of that. If you want to update to that or if you already have it and want to keep it up-to-date, you'll have to perform source update.

Oxyd said:
What FreeBSD version do you have and which version do you want to have?

Code:
$ uname -a
FreeBSD 9.0-HEAD-20100808-JPSNAP FreeBSD 9.0-HEAD-20100808-JPSNAP #0: Sun Aug  8 03:54:32 UTC 2010     root@build-i386-fbsd-
2.allbsd.org:/usr/obj/i386.i386/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  i386

for now just wanna to keep it up-to-date...

d_mon said:
Use csup to update your sources then proceed with building world (and kernel).

d_mon said:
dude...the 'objection' here is i do not wanna to waste another plastic[aka cd]on lifetime
I don't think you have to burn the image. Besides, you can avoid clunky sysinstall(8) and extract directly, e.g.$ cd 9.0-HEAD-20100813-JPSNAP
$ for dist in kernels base games doc info manpages dict; do cd $dist; ./install.sh; done
Not all distributions (e.g. proflibs, catpages, src, ports) in -disc1.iso are useful. So, you can download only the ones you need.

d_mon said:
Code:
$ uname -a
FreeBSD 9.0-HEAD-20100808-JPSNAP FreeBSD 9.0-HEAD-20100808-JPSNAP #0: Sun Aug  8 03:54:32 UTC 2010     root@build-i386-fbsd-
2.allbsd.org:/usr/obj/i386.i386/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  i386

If your v9 functions without problem, you are good to go
until v9-stable is released, and might cause more problems
than solve them by keeping current, because v9 upon
update is much more prone to breaking than
v8-stable would be. So by not updating you are
ahead of the game. I'd just wait until 9-STABLE exists
and upgrade then.

FreeBSD 9-current to csup

Im prefer compile all, you are learning very good

Code:
FreeBSD foo.lan 9.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 9.0-CURRENT #0: Sat Aug 14 19:58:17 WEST 2010     crabb@foo.lan:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/WORLD  amd64
How to download sources files for FBSD-9-CURRENT
HTML:
# cp /usr/share/examples/cvsup/standard-supfile /root/current-supfile [But you have a standar-supfile]
And edit current-supfile

*default host=cvsup.CHANGE_THIS.FreeBSD.org
*default host=cvsup.de.FreeBSD.org

And delete RELENG_8_0 but, .
*default release=cvs tag=RELENG_8_0
*default release=cvs tag=.

And download the sources

csup -g -L 2 /root/example-supfile

Note: If you secure, update, but you know, current is a other world, with bugs and errors, ever, have you got a backup of system, but "precaution"

If you want subscribe to current freebsd current mailing

:&

Back