Solved TMUX Acts Up on Desktop PC But not on Server

TMUX, with special thanks to ZSH, spins my thinking about the Terminals (non-GUIs) of Operating Systems.

I can use TMUX with ZSH perfectly well when I log into to my server (running FBSD) from my FBSD desktop. I mean the TMUX session that auto-starts on logging in yields to its shortcut commands. However, whenever I start a terminal on my PC, my TMUX does not yield to its shortcut commands.

At the moment, I have two terminals opened in a page of a desk in FVWM - one is ssh access to a server and the other a regular terminal on desktop. I have 'chsh' to zsh on both machines. I cannot create new sessions or move from one session to the other in the TMUX for the PC but not the server's. What could be wrong?

At the same time, I have realized it might be better not to 'chsh -s zsh' for the PC even though I can't use the TMUX shortcuts. The reason is that a new shell (regardless of the terminal/app -xterm, vt, aterm, mate-terminal) always end up mirroring the already opened shell with tmux-zsh. It will be good to have different shells at different pages and one of them can run a tmux session and yield to its shortcuts.

Interesting, all seems to work well on my Devuan desktop that uses FVWM. The shell yields to its shortcuts and anytime I start another instance of the terminal (mate-terminal), the existing one is brought to the current page. I would not mind this behaviour on the FreeBSD desktop if the TMUX shortcuts work.

FIXED.
Thanks to everyone that read my post. You all showed interest in helping. I had to compare my config files; then I saw that I had omitted some keybindings. I most likely deleted them (first commented them, I think) in the early days of starting with TMUX, FVWM, CONKY, ROFI and ZSH. I have had trouble with conky several times; and now, I had to lock its version since I am not ready to change its config file to the present day style.

It still marvels me though. The keybindings used to be there in the past but won't work. I thought the FVWM bindings swallowed the TMUX's. Anyway, I can breathe a sigh a relief for now.

Back