Solved tint2 keeps showing the last used app even when it's closed

Two thoughts:
  1. The app is running something in the background - you can see if it fully stopped by running top(1) or ps(1) with flags ps -aux | grep "app name"
  2. The version of tint2 in FreeBSD is 16.7. The project made it's last update to 17.0.2 and does not plan any more code updates. https://gitlab.com/o9000/tint2. Incidentally the last version updates tint2 gtk+2 ->gtk+3. gtk+2 is not receiving any more bug fixes or security updates so it is a worthy effort.

I'm a long time x11/tint user in OpenBSD and Linux and have not experienced persistent display of closed apps in the panel. I do use it with OpenBox.

Typically, if you go to the developers, the first thing you'll be asked is if you are running the latest version.

I'm a long time x11/tint user in OpenBSD and Linux and have not experienced persistent display of closed apps in the panel. I do use it with OpenBox.

Typically, if you go to the developers, the first thing you'll be asked is if you are running the latest version.
I believe as you say there's a chance the new version will fix it, but I prefer to manage all installed packages via pkg.
I tried lemonbar but I couldn't immediately find how to minimize and maximize windows via the mouse in one click.
Then I installed polybar in combination with the polywins script and this does exactly what I needed:

Because I wanted to make polybar transparent I installed Compton and now I have no tearing in PeKWM. Titlebar, polybar and windows can become transparent. This is awesome.

Also useful is that I can now control the volume by scrolling the mouse thanks to polybar. So polybar meets all my requirements 100%.

Back