Time in Wayland Apps set to UTC

I have the following problem:
Time of my laptop is set up correctly, i have enabled ntpd() and date shows the correct time.
Also Wayfire shows the correct time in Waybar.
Nevertheless e.g. Chromium shows the wrong time (e.g. in WhatsApp Web). Everything that shows a time in Chromium displays UTC instead of my correct local time.

The problem isn't with Wayland but with Chromium. ;) It uses the system's time zone setting to set the time. Have you set your time zone instead of default setting?

The problem isn't with Wayland but with Chromium. ;) It uses the system's time zone setting to set the time. Have you set your time zone instead of default setting?
I have set the time zone during installation.
date shows correct date, time and time zone.

Apparently you need to allow Chromium (or at least this specific website) access to your location. It gets the timezone from that.

I'm not totally convinced, but this can be the same problem I noticed a few time ago.
I have a GUI software (SELKS) that gives timestamps for network activities.

If I use Chromium on FreeBSD (4 different installations) and even in GhostBSD, the navigator displays UTC timestamps instead of those of my time zone. If I use Chromium on Ubuntu or Windows, it shows the right timestamp (and "access to location" is disabled on all).

If I use Firefox on FreeBSD, the timestamps are also correct. So this is a specific trouble concerning Chromium on FreeBSD.

Digging the code of SELKS, I saw that it intensively uses java script. And I guess that the problem is actually here. The Date() function returns a UTC time on Chromium but not on Firefox.

Just try this in Chromium and compare with Firefox: https://www.w3schools.com/js/tryit.asp?filename=tryjs_date_current

I have set the time zone during installation.
date shows correct date, time and time zone.
If I remember correctly, me either. ;) But for some reason, it didn't work properly. The file /etc/localtime must be either a symlink or a copy of the proper file from /usr/share/zoneinfo directory. It isn't set during installation. At least, it wasn't for FreeBSD 13.0.

Back