Time for something interesting , dating apps.

I've been married for 28 years. So, when I dated, it was before the Internet (though I think AOL may have started), and one usually met people through work or friends. These days, it seems work relationships are frowned upon though. There were also personal ads, in say, (another thing that may make people nostalgic, especially in NYC), the Village Voice.

One of my nieces met her husband through J-Date, and they seem happy.

You do come up with some interesting topics. :)

I've met my first love on the train.
I've met the wife i was together with for 11 year in a basketball sports-hall.
But times have changed since then. I have the impression there is less human interaction.
So i must go with my time.

I have talked to one of my sons recently about such a thing/forum/whatever-that-it-is-exactly. From my understanding that was nothing where it is about money. I think that the people post content what is considered to be cool or so. The majority has been about going to clubs and so on. I do not know about the situation in dating apps, but I guess that the content raises false expectations and in real life the people are different.

I'd say the more particular your interests, the better your chances through an app. Something like "Hot stud looking for a nerdy babe with enough RAM to build devel/electron30!!! 😍" is just easier to communicate via app than in RL.

Yeah ... sorry about that - good luck anyway!

Yes.

I suggest you do it the traditional way. Find a computer club and meet hot nerdy chicks in person.
When I was single in the ‘80s, that was the advice I frequently heard: Find a club or group that does something you like doing, and look for partners there. While you are waiting, you will still have fun. And it gives you more opportunity to get to know the person than running up to them on the street and asking for their number just because they are good looking would. (If I was a woman, I would be afraid of giving my number to some guy I met on the street, because if they turn out to be a creep, you have to change your number.)

BTW, this is how I met my wife of 24 years.

Not only a waste of time and a waste of money, but also a waste of emotional energy. Many a woman on these apps have no interest in dating, they want to scratch their egos "I still got it". And when you invest time and interest into a contact that is likely to be in vain. Many want the attention, few want a relationship. So, if you are looking for a magnet for people with narcissistic trends, dating apps are a good candidate.

Hey Alain De Vos, why don't you start a youtube channel "my dating experience" and become an "influencer"? You will become rich and famous and a chick magnet. Or at least it will fill up your time with a new hobby and a new way to connect with people!

With a dating app i had a date with a women who worked as psychology in a clinic.
During our first date she told me she was married and had 3 children.
I thought ,why, and how can something serious come out of this.
But i guess it was all about the feeling of getting attention as Crivens was stating.

I found no success on dating apps. I found more success on Discord but they didn't last very long, like 4 months and i didnt met any of them in person, it is still way better then on dating apps 3 days and not meeting them.

But true method is in person, preferably in the university, that is where I found my first love

There is a simple proof that time travel does not exist.

Or did you see any reports about some older guy suddenly stomping into a church wedding and slapping some sense into his 30 year younger self? I have not. And if money was needed, Jeff and Bill have lost huge amounts to the $EX, so it should not be a matter of "too expensive".

Who is the most evil billionaire. An ArchLinux loving friend swears it's Bill, my own thought is that Jeff is way up there, as Amazon has so many employees and so many of them work in horrible conditions.
I don't think death should exclude Steve Jobs from the competition. He has achieved some real lasting damage on the world.

It's funny, in an email conversation with said Bill hating friend, I also mentioned Steve. He certainly is (was?) up there, claiming he was infertile so he wouldn't be responsible for his daughter, and that probably isn't the worst of it. But my friend is so anti MS, it's almost funny, though as he points out, I get equally defensive if say, he insults the BSDs. But he, in his 60's still writes Microsoft Turd, for example.

But hey, going back to dating, it reminds me of, again pre Internet, I was working in sales in office supplies, One of my customers and I began a phone flirtation. Eventually, I asked her her age, and she was 22 or so. She asked How about you? I said, Well, I'm in my mid 30's.. <pause for effect> But...I'm really immature.
I didn't get a date, but I got a laugh, which, once I heard how young she was, was all I was aiming for.

Were they billionaires? (I don't want to hijack the thread, though I already have, so maybe we should stick to dating on this one. Though, supposedly, some absurdly high percentage of people have genes from Ghengish Khan, due to women who were brought him as tribute.) Apologies to Alain De Vos for hijacking--and the most evil billionaire is probably a good topic for one of your opinion threads. :)

This thread needs to be split off ...

Though, supposedly, some absurdly high percentage of people have genes from Ghengish Khan, due to women who were brought him as tribute.
The same is said for Charlemagne a.k.a. Karl der Grosse. I read somewhere that 1/3 of all people in the Rheinland (river Rhein area) can be traced to a common male ancestor around the year 800.

Anyway, speaking of most evil tech geniuses, nobody has mentioned Elon yet.

My personal opinion on "most evil" goes in the opposite direction. As much as people like Bill, Jeff, Steve, and Elon were nasty individuals, they at least can claim in their defense that they tried to create something (whether successful or not, whether it would have been created better without their help). But there is a whole other category of tech leaders who try to administer something, but are incapable of bringing positive inputs into it, and end up destroying it, while enriching themselves. Example I've personally worked for include Carly Fiorina, Sam Palmisano, Ginny Rometty, and Sundar Pichai. They may all be "upstanding and moral citizens", as far as I know there were no juicy sexual escapades involved in their careers of destruction and disaster, they meant well, but they have destroyed lots of value, careers and lives.

Back