Thunderbird and Firefox Replacement?

Does anyone get their "smartphone" without making a decision?
Even if you get it donated you could say "No!" which is a decision too.
Life not having a Smartphone with Internet is becoming impossible.
You need it e.g. for internetbanking, even if you use the PC for it.

I can think of two reasons to use a local email client:

- Use multiple accounts in the same program.
- Local storage of both emails and contacts.
Completely necessary?

I've been using webmail for years, but emails are so scarce that I don't even need to store my contacts in the cloud. On the other hand, on the smartphone, I use Gmail/IMAP or alternative app and local contacts. By ubiquity.

It depends on whether you use mail for common use or add advanced features, I can think of certificates, support for CardDAV/WebDAV, which I've used in the past with KMail/GMX. Etc.
Mail/Evolution is usually the alternative to Thunderbird, but you'll need to evaluate whether it has the features you need. The lightest clients are mail/Sylpheed, or more comprehensive mail/Claws-Mail. Even if you're not very picky and like compact UI, you can take a look at mail/Geary.

As for the web browser, it's complicated, you'll want the most compatibility regardless of whether you're using online banking and other services. Any independent browser will be a matter of taste.

I've used chromium and gmail for years
If it's a toxicity contest, I'm using (and liking) Microsoft Edge (chromium) and like new Thunderbird - it just got that new-modern-hype layout that other MUAs like Apple Mail had for quite some time while still being a lot more functional than competitors.

Email clients on cellphones are generic. Nobody forces you to use the gmail service on an Android phone.
You need to have a Google account to install apps from the Play Store. Gmail will simply load the mail automatically unless you turn off syncing in your Accounts settings on Android. But it's off topic.

You need to have a Google account to install apps from the Play Store. Gmail will simply load the mail automatically unless you turn off syncing in your Accounts settings on Android. But it's off topic.

I don't think it's off-topic in a mailer thread.

Anyway, what I am saying is that there is nothing forcing you to use Gmail, the Android and IOS mail apps are generic for any IMAP service. I suppose you could argue that you need Gmail to read Email related to your Google account. But you never have to use it to send anything.

A minor annoyance, but why? Because some hotshot just out of college with a design degree says "It's better".
Or perhaps because a 10-person user interface research group (half of them statistics PhDs, the other half seasoned UI designers) did a careful study using a sample of 1000 users, carefully instrumenting how fast and accurate they used the dialog window, and also collecting feedback in interviews. And the results of the study said that one version was better.

Or perhaps because a 10-person user interface research group (half of them statistics PhDs, the other half seasoned UI designers) did a careful study using a sample of 1000 users, carefully instrumenting how fast and accurate they used the dialog window, and also collecting feedback in interviews. And the results of the study said that one version was better.
Yep, that sometimes happens, but when it does you have the entire userbase clicking No when they meant Yes and having to redo the operation. Kind of breaks POLA :)

Nah, no way. These decisions are made on a whim by product managers. Sometimes they say the decision is "data driven", but they never reveal anything about how the data came together and was processed.

Probably wouldn't go over too well at a planning meeting.

Generally the product managers have total supremacy over the engineers. They can be quite shameless.

Let's not get started on the issue that such data should be collected by a neutral party (like it is done for most focus group research).

Reactions: mer
How did you get claws-mail to work with gmail? Trying to move back, and the OAuth2 keeps erroring out.
I am using claws-mail but I do not using Gmail. But if you are search in Claws-mail mailing list I think you will find the answer as I remember there were debate about Gmail.

I like [mail][/sylpheed].

P.S. how does one get these fancy port links?
screenshot_port_button.png

Don't forget the category (mail) when you select the text. Or the PORT and /PORT tags, both in square brackets. (Legacy browsers)

Librewolf is my choice and I'm happy it made it to the ports. But the buggers just won't listen. Check your browsers ( https://coveryourtracks.eff.org, or maybe https://browseraudit.com, feel free to expand this tiny list). I hope you don't mind your User-Agent string being reported as a Windows *whatever version. You want privacy? Checked. You want functionality at the same time? Checked. You want zero ads? Checked (uBo). The team behind Librewolf removed some of the cruft, but there is still a long way to go. That's a definition for a good start. Not advocating here, just saying.

Thunderbird has been my goto email application for more years than I care to remember; and I'm still using it, despite increasing GUI annoyances. However, I've also been trying out the Vivaldi browser for a while (albeit not on BSD), which has an email component; a relatively recent addition. I find it reminiscent of early Opera Browsers; for good reason; and the email component seems a viable alternative to other mainstream applications.

The GUI; well, some might need time for adjustment. Something I like in particular, is that it's very customizable; which extends to functionality aswell as general theming; though themes are certainly available, along with the occasional influx of features.

I haven't noticed wide adoption of Vivaldi in Linux, for example, apart from an Arch-based distribution, but it might be a worthwhile consideration for FreeBSD, if it's ever introduced to Ports.

That's my 2 cents, in any case. Don't spend it all at once.

Cheers.

Back