This forum: horribly slow?

Hi all,

Is it only me or is this forum horribly slow for the last couple of days? Changing a page easily takes 10 seconds. I don't have this on any other forum.

Seems to happen to me when I use webkit browsers. Switching to Opera or Konqueror (khtml) and forums seemed as quick as usual.

Admins are working on this. I myself experience slowness when using either Chromium 9 or Firefox with cookies. Without them (using PHP session id) there are no noticeable delays. Browsing the forums with or without cookies seems to be at normal speeds, but returning to a page after posting or editing does take a long time with cookies on, and appears to be going in steps (text, layout, icons, in bursts).

Interesting. I normally use Firefox for this forum, and it is slow lately. However, now I am using Opera, and the forum is much more responsive.

Interestingly, for a few sites, "new tabs, open in background" most of the tabs loaded in firefox, never actually load. So for those sites opera here (the primary browser) continues to make them browsable. (no slowness noted here BTW). Hoping for a fix for those issues within a few years.

Since Sunday night, using Firefox here is nearly unusably slow. Several times, forums.freebsd.org has not responded at all. Several times the Varnish guru meditation error has shown. (I wonder how many people get that reference?)

Midori, OTOH, seems okay.

I have been working on the forums and trying to fix the slowness people are seeing, but as of yet it is not clear what the problems.

wblock said:
Since Sunday night, using Firefox here is nearly unusably slow. Several times, forums.freebsd.org has not responded at all. Several times the Varnish guru meditation error has shown. (I wonder how many people get that reference?)

The not responding or the Varnish error is when I have taken Apache down and am working on the instance.

Thank you for your patience.

It is slow (firefox 3.6.12_1, freebsd 8.1_stable from aug 10)!

Edit: And i have that in nearly every action (opening the forum, opening new topics via middle klick, writing anything (means reply), going to advanced via quick reply, ...)

DutchDaemon said:
See if using https://forums.freebsd.org/ makes a difference. It works faster for me in Chrome 9 and FF 3.

Yes. Maybe it's obvious, but doesn't this kind of confirm the idea that it's a conflict Varnish has with Firefox caching? Since other browsers don't have the problem, and SSL connections can't be cached, I mean. And www/varnish was updated 12 days ago...

Hmm - no difference here may it be FF, Opera (even OS doesn't make a difference). Though I've JS disabled by default and run a local caching proxy.
Still, if https is faster wait until everyone's using it :D

It is slow still with Opera, Konqueror and Firefox on FreeBSD 8.0.
It is slow also on my iMac at work with Opera, Safari, Chrome and Firefox 4.0b7.

I cannot confirm any particular slow-ness (it's faster than trying to resolve google.com, in any case), but my intar-net has pretty terrific latency and bandwidth anyway. Yay for 4G.

The forum is definitely very slow. I've noticed the problem for at least a week or so from my end.

Using https has greatly improved the speed of the forum loading pages.

It's strange because this site always used to be a very fast loading site.

I know what the problem is: this site is running on Windows Server.

Could I suggest changing it to another OS? I can recommend FreeBSD, it is very solid.

:e

Back