Thinkpad X201 compat check

Thinking of getting a lenovo thinkpad x201. here are the wireless cards according to their site. What is the current status of FreeBSD amd64 drivers of the wireless cards below (i.e. which ones should I consider when purchasing)

• ThinkPad bgn Wireless
  • Intel Centrino Wireless-N 1000
  • Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6200 (2x2 AGN)
  • Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300 (3x3 AGN)
  • Intel Centrino Advanced-N + WiMAX 6250

Also anyone who owns one of these computers or the tablet version (or even last gen) how is the user experience for a ad hoc programming and research laptop?

Yes , you can use its wireless cards.

I have a x201i.
Code:
Jul 28 17:34:39 x201i kernel: iwn0: <Intel Centrino Wireless-N 1000> mem 0xf2400000-0xf2401fff irq 16 at device 0.0 on pci2
It work ok.

UNIXgod said:
Thinking of getting a lenovo thinkpad x201. here are the wireless cards according to their site. What is the current status of FreeBSD amd64 drivers of the wireless cards below (i.e. which ones should I consider when purchasing)

• ThinkPad bgn Wireless
  • Intel Centrino Wireless-N 1000
  • Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6200 (2x2 AGN)
  • Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300 (3x3 AGN)
  • Intel Centrino Advanced-N + WiMAX 6250

Also anyone who owns one of these computers or the tablet version (or even last gen) how is the user experience for a ad hoc programming and research laptop
?

Did you get the Lenovo Thinkpad? How was it?

I own this laptop and it works very well with FreeBSD 10.3. Even suspend-to-RAM is working but I never use it. (I don't want my el-cheapo NAS going to sleep on me!)

I had some problems with a flakey, perhaps failing Intel Centrino 6200 Wifi card and quickly discovered that there are patched BIOS files you can flash to allow ANY wifi card (eg. the nice 4 USD Atheros 9285), not just ones on the IBM rip-off list.

Back