Solved Thinkpad Trackpoint button issues

Hello,

I have a T440 running Freebsd 12. Everything works well except the trackpoint buttons (trackpad works perfectly fine). For some reason they seem to work on the console, but does not work properly under xorg. The behavior I'm seeing is odd; for example when using firefox the buttons work on the first link, but the very next one send me back to the previous page. It seems to be a click speed setting, or something to do with the xorg defaults. I am unable to get this to work with what i've read in 5.4.7.2. Mice and Pointing Devices, https://wiki.freebsd.org/SynapticsTouchpad, and the forums here. The only thing I haven't tried yet is libinput.
Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Thanks

tl;dr

trackpoint buttons are not working properly. tried using synaptics driver, and played with xorg 'InputDevice' settings under /usr/local/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d, moused_flags to no avail.

Hello Martin,
Thanks for the reply.

In my /etc/rc.conf I have:
Code:
moused_enable="YES"
moused_flags="-VH"

and /usr/local/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d:
20-mouse.conf
Code:
Section "ServerLayout"
   Identifier "thinkpad"
   Option "AutoAddDevices" "Off"
EndSection

In my /etc/rc.conf I have:
Code:
moused_enable="YES"
moused_flags="-VH"

Virtual Scrolling in a touchpad/trackpad doesn't made sense, you need to hold the middle button to activate it, also a touchpad/trackpad give you real scrolling

and /usr/local/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d:
20-mouse.conf
Code:
Section "ServerLayout"
   Identifier "thinkpad"
   Option "AutoAddDevices" "Off"
EndSection
In my opinion, the only thing you are doing is to disable the automatic detection of devices by Xorg, you are not configuring nothing to the mouse

Can you put the output of ps axw | grep mouse to see the parameter that moused(8) is using

I understand that your problem is that the clicks do not work correctly, possibly what you need to do is identify which click is being incorrectly identified and correct it with the parameter -m N=M, read the section CAVEATS at the end of the moused(8) manual.

Login as root in the console or a text terminal, kill the process of moused killall moused

Run moused -df -t auto -p /dev/psm0

This way you can check what moused(8) is receiving from psm(4), click the buttons (scroll is reported by button pressed too).

You sir are a gentleman and a scholar. Thanks for nudging me in the right direction.

[MAN
man moused
"In contrast, some ALPS GlidePoint and Interlink VersaPad models treat the tapping action as fourth button events. Use the option "-m 1=4" for these models to obtain the same effect as the other pad devices."
][/MAN]
I have a GlidePoint model, so this fixed the issue.
Thanks!!

Back