Solved Thingylaunch error on new install: "Couldn't setup GC"

• Thread starter Deleted member 72152
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 72152

x11/thingylaunch on a fresh install of FreeBSD gives me the following: "Error: Couldn't setup GC". Thingylaunch does not have a man page and the Github repo does not have any issues open.

Edit: I just tried the original x11/thinglaunch and it has another error, "Couldn't load font". In my recent setup of ctwm, I've noticed that none of the Xorg fonts seem to be working so I'm stuck with a really small version of Helvetica and xfontsel doesn't actually show any fonts. Perhaps this is the issue.

Fixed it by setting the paths of a bunch of fonts in /usr/local/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/fonts.conf:

Code:
Section "Files"
 FontPath "/usr/local/share/fonts/terminus-font/"
 FontPath "/usr/local/share/fonts/100dpi/"
 FontPath "/usr/local/share/fonts/75dpi/"
 FontPath "/usr/local/share/fonts/OTF/"
 FontPath "/usr/local/share/fonts/TTF/"
EndSection

Don't need to set those, they're picked up by default. Only terminus-font might need to be added. The others are default directories.

Code:
dice@chibacity:~ % cat /usr/local/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/fonts.conf
Section "Files"
        FontPath "/usr/local/share/fonts/terminus-font/"
        FontPath "/usr/local/share/fonts/dejavu/"
EndSection
/var/log/Xorg.0.log:
Code:
[    34.661] (**) FontPath set to:
        /usr/local/share/fonts/terminus-font/,
        /usr/local/share/fonts/dejavu/,
        /usr/local/share/fonts/misc/,
        /usr/local/share/fonts/TTF/,
        /usr/local/share/fonts/OTF/,
        /usr/local/share/fonts/Type1/,
        /usr/local/share/fonts/100dpi/,
        /usr/local/share/fonts/75dpi/,
        catalogue:/usr/local/etc/X11/fontpath.d

Weird, I don't know what happened but they weren't working before I restarted with fonts declared in fonts.conf.

Did you perhaps install x11/xorg-minimal instead of x11/xorg? That -minimal port only has a couple of fonts. Installing x11-fonts/xorg-fonts should install everything you need and more.
I normally do just install xorg-minimal, but I decided to go with the meta-port this time. I had restarted a couple times in that span and had the default tiny font in x11-wm/ctwm so I knew something was wrong (I have a larger version of Helvetica set).

Back