Solved The slim is required or part of FreeBSD desktops?

D

Deleted member 53988

It is written on A FreeBSD 11 Desktop How-to of Cooltrainer.org:

"Starting your graphical session after logging in on a TTY (the command-line login prompt) is the traditional way and is as easy as running the command startx after loggin in as your user. Don’t run X as root.

I prefer to use a graphical login manager. Some desktop environments include their own, like KDE’s KDM. On my computer I use the environment-agnostic x11/slim. A graphical login manager, besides being nicer to look at, also protects you from leaving a logged-in user session (or even worse, a root session!) on a TTY that could be used by someone walking up to your computer.

You can configure the login manager to start at boot by adding eitherkdm_enable="YES" or slim_enable="YES" to /etc/rc.conf, but I would recommend not doing that until you are confident everything is set up correctly. It will be more difficult to fix a config file if your computer automatically starts to a broken X server. Test a plain old startx first, then test your login manager with service slim onestart or service kdm onestart before enabling them for every boot.

You can configure the sessiondir directive in the SLiM configuration file to define the path to desktop entries installed by your ports, usually /usr/local/share/xsessions. Use exec $1 instead of a particular window manager’s executable name in your .xinitrc to run the command from SLiM passed in as an argument.

/usr/local/etc/slim.conf
  1. sessiondir /usr/local/share/xsessions/

1. echo 'slim_enable="YES"' >> /etc/rc.conf
  2. service slim start
~/.xinitrc
  1. exec $1

Reference: https://cooltrainer.org/a-freebsd-desktop-howto/

The slim is required or part of FreeBSD desktops?

For example, the slim is required or part of FreeBSD GNOME, MATE and XFCE desktops?

I am asking this because I want to install correctly desktop on FreeBSD.

Hey, Ninja_Root ! :)
Nope. It's not required. But is is a port in the ports(7) tree ( x11/slim ) :)
So installing it as you want, and with what you want is a trivial task! :)
All it needs is Xorg (also a port in the ports tree ). But simply installing slim will drag Xorg in as a dependency (automatically).

HTH

--Chris

Chris,

Thank you very much!

Back