The great Gordon Ramsay wannabe thread

Dies_Irae said:
Great find, my friend!! :e

But I have found a very cheap alternative: my home pc has an nvidia card that burns like hell, I could use it to cook a perfect steak! I only have to find a way to drain excess fat :\

And after 4 minutes of gaming you are going to wimp out and tell your raid-comrades that dinner is ready?

Maybe we should also try to include finger food in this thread. You are either doing the complete meal, taking your time, or you are going to do something you can eat at the keyboard. Hopefully not turning it into a pizza dump. Any suggestions?

You are just full of surprises, aren't you Care to disclose what sort of food your restaurants serve? Are they burger joints, Tex-Mex or perhaps something else entirely?
I opened the fifth Subway in the whole state of Missouri. That's how long I've been doing that. I owned as many as five at one time but now I'm down to two. There are five within a few miles of my home now.

Crivens said:
And after 4 minutes of gameing you are going to wimp out and tell your raid-comrades that dinner is ready?

No, the Nvidia board is large, but not enough to cook for more than one person - myself. :e

Crivens said:
or you are going to do something you can eat at the keyboard. Hopefully not turning it into a pizza dump.

I don't like to eat over the keyboard. I prefer a glass of red wine (writing code while drinking wine is very relaxing)

Dies_Irae said:
I don't like to eat over the keyboard. I prefer a glass of red wine (writing code while drinking wine is very relaxing)
Come to think of it, I don't usually eat at the keyboard either, except soup. I do like a beer when I'm coding, though :beer

drhowarddrfine said:
I opened the fifth Subway in the whole state of Missouri.
Ah, Subway. We have those here in the Netherlands, just not that many. I like the food and for a fast-food chain it actually appears to be relatively healthy.

Dies_Irae said:

While I agree with this, I somehow feel a disturbance in the force when I consider to bring this improvement in workplace efficiency up to the management. There will be doubts!

What is good to eat at the keyboard is sandwich, which was meant to be good to eat when playing cards. One of my favorites is scrambled eggs, cheese and some hot sauce on/between slightly toasted rye bread.

Subway killed all the good submarine sandwich shops. The ones that made hot sandwiches with gooey melted cheese and melt-in-your-mouth bread! God I miss those places. Subway has nothing that compares, especially since they've changed their bread dough recipe. :(

The closest thing to a real submarine sandwich now is the pre-packaged crap that 7-11 sells. But at least it can be nuked to relive that melt-in-your-mouth goodness. The way a sub was meant to be!

Crivens said:
While I agree with this, I somehow feel a disturbance in the force when I consider to bring this improvement in workplace efficiency up to the management. There will be doubts!

Well, I have to admit that when the alcohol level in my blood reaches an interesting value my brain starts to produce very clever ideas. However, they can't say how productive is a team of drunk developers as long as they don't try. :beergrin

Oh, just to stay on topic: this weekend I'm going to make a cheesecake with berries.

Note: I'm not an alcoholic, a bottle of wine lasts me about two weeks. But sometimes...

phoenix said:
The perfect steak (IMO, of course):
  1. ...
  2. gently rub fresh-ground peper (and salt if must) into each side
  3. slap on the steaks; wait 4.5 minutes (for medium) or 8.0 minutes (for well)
  4. flip the steaks; wait 4.5 minutes (for medium) or 8.0 minutes (for well)

Just two small comments.
  • Putting pepper in a hot pan may cause it to burn, this can give off a weird taste.
  • Flipping the steak more often will give an evener cooking. The heat spreads out more evenly, and you don't have one side of the steak being cold whilst the other is hot.

Oh and of course - get a thermometer. There is nothing quite as nice as not having to guess when food is done or not.

Personally I love the oven. I prepare the food, then stick it in the oven, clean up, do dishes and set the table, all while the food is cooking.

mix_room said:
Just two small comments.
  • Putting pepper in a hot pan may cause it to burn, this can give off a weird taste.
  • Flipping the steak more often will give an evener cooking. The heat spreads out more evenly, and you don't have one side of the steak being cold whilst the other is hot.

I used to flip my steaks more than once ... and found it took much longer to cook (20+ mins for a 3/4" steak). Now, flipping once turns out the perfect steak everytime in under 15 minutes.

And we don't use pans to cook steaks, only BBQs. :) If it's not kissed by flames, it's not worth eating. :D

Oh and of course - get a thermometer. There is nothing quite as nice as not having to guess when food is done or not.

We got one last year or the year before. Don't know how I lived without it! We only use it on poultry, but it's a godsend.

Personally I love the oven. I prepare the food, then stick it in the oven, clean up, do dishes and set the table, all while the food is cooking.

It's too hot up here to use the oven during the spring/summer/fall. Everything is cooked on the BBQ for 8-ish months of the year. :) Sometimes, we'll even BBQ in the middle of the winter. The oven is generally only used for fish sticks, chicken fingers, french fries, and lasagne.

Could we agree that there is a fine red line (not yellow) which should not be crossed in this thread? Apart from that, I once saw a cook book which was meant for travelers, giving the way to cook something not as "oven, 200°C" but in terms of how many layers of aluminium foil need to be used and how to wrap your steak to the exhaust pipe of your motorbike so the it is fine when you reach that place with a view you meant to eat at. I always wantet to try something like that, but since I do not ride a motor bike, and also I am vegetarian, I need to experiment on my own.

Regarding spices, you usually add them when you are mostly finished. Salt, for example, should be added to lentils or peas as late as possible because they take a lot longer to cook when salted from the beginning.

phoenix said:
(20+ mins for a 3/4" steak).
Just of the top of my head that sound like a very long time. Very long.

If it's not kissed by flames, it's not worth eating. :D
One the same note: "If it doesn't go 'moo' when you cut it, it's too well done!"

We got one last year or the year before. Don't know how I lived without it! We only use it on poultry, but it's a godsend.
I use mine for everything. From getting pork just enough done, with poultry that is only just done. Fish which is medium, etc etc. It really is THE best tool in the kitchen.

Sometimes, we'll even BBQ in the middle of the winter.
Nothing quite beats a BBQ in the snow. ;)

Some restaurants will cook steaks in a pan for longer than 20 minutes. At home, one technique I use takes me 40 minutes for an inch and a half steak but that's on medium heat.

There is something about mixing every food on your plate that makes everything seem so much better. I generally like all of the flavors mixed together anyway, but we have some family members that don't even want their foods on the same plate! So weird...

Grilled Chicken

My family and I really enjoy grilled chicken.

I use chicken thighs and legs. Heat up the grill first. Place the chicken, skin down, on a platter. Season with sea salt (regular salt works too) and ground black pepper corns. Place on grill, seasoned side down. Season skin side in the same manner. 10-15 minutes on each side. Our grill is a piece of junk and it burns the chicken if it doesn't get turned several times, however with a good grill, on medium low, this shouldn't happen (watch the chicken just in case). Enjoy.

phoenix said:
If it's not kissed by flames, it's not worth eating. :D

Amen.

Captain_HM_Murdock said:
My family and I really enjoy grilled chicken.

I use chicken thighs and legs. Heat up the grill first. Place the chicken, skin down, on a platter. Season with sea salt (regular salt works too) and ground black pepper corns. Place on grill, seasoned side down. Season skin side in the same manner. 10-15 minutes on each side. Our grill is a piece of junk and it burns the chicken if it doesn't get turned several times, however with a good grill, on medium low, this shouldn't happen (watch the chicken just in case). Enjoy.

Amen.

Sounds delicious. We're trying to eat a bit healthier around here, so we're doing a lot of grilled foods. But hey, I love a little charring on my food so the grill wouldn't bother me. Although, they're trying to say charring causes cancer now? Still taste good to me.

Goobie said:
Sounds delicious. We're trying to eat a bit healthier around here, so we're doing a lot of grilled foods. But hey, I love a little charring on my food so the grill wouldn't bother me. Although, they're trying to say charring causes cancer now? Still taste good to me.

Yeah, I've heard about the charring before, who knows if it's true or not. We always try to eat healthy, which isn't always easy for a family of six, because healthier is usually more expensive. Speaking of grilling, we also grill our hamburgers. I brush them lightly with peanut oil to keep them from burning and help them stay juicy.

I should have known there would be more to this...

I'm not a fan of Mr. Ramsay, not at all. In my opinion he's hardly as professional as he claims to be, but does manage to sell his persona quite well. Either way; when I think of this individual I see a group in a restaurant who had pizza delivered to them because they had to wait way too long for their food (some episode of Hell's Kitchen IIRC). Now that was funny, but it seems this individual doesn't have a good sense of humour either. ALAS; offtopic.

Either way; I totally missed the purpose of the thread ;)

I like cooking, though when I'm really busy at work it's also something I sometimes like to cut short a bit. On a day to day routine I always make sure to get some vegetables, potatoes and a nice piece of meat every now and then on the table. I'm trying to specialize a bit on pastas because I really like those, lasagna in particular. I've always considered it a bit fascinating that the real work is basically making the sauce, and not so much the rest around it.

When making lasagna I can easily spend up to three hours in the kitchen to make a good sauce. In general my sauces are based on milk, though I've recently also experimented with a tomato based sauce.

Take...

• 1 leek
  • 150 - 200 g pork ("ham"!)
  • 1 l milk
  • Approx. 20 g of flour
  • Approx. 50 g of butter
  • 'Italian herbs' (herb mixture which is commonly available in Dutch supermarkets).
  • Collection of raw vegetables ("rauwkost")
  • Cheese
  • lasagna sheets / ribbons / leaves (take your pick)
  • Optional: anchovies
  • Optional: lemon juice
  • Optional: sambal
  • Optional: ketjap
  • Dish to put the lasagna in
Wherever I say "Approx." I mean as much, use as you see fit. I kinda lost track of the original recipe years ago and these days only focus on the main ingredients, more than often changing amounts if appropriate (for example; am I eating alone or will my girlfriend be joining me).

It's really simple, but good nonetheless. Chop up the pork into parts, do the same with the leek and start baking this. When you're done add extra butter (the approx. 50 g) and after the butter has melted add the flour.

In case you didn't know: if you simply add flour to something in order to try and thicken it up a little you'll more than often risk clumps. If you first mix the flour with butter and then add that mixture to the original you have a much better chance of avoiding lumps altogether. There might be more tricks like these, but this is the one I usually go by.

Now start adding milk and keep stirring until you got a nice sauce. The combination of butter, flour and milk can be used as a basis for a lot of sauces by the way. Either way, make sure you got the amounts right; otherwise you might risk cooking up something which tastes like flour, not the best idea.

Once your basic sauce is done its time to spice it up a little. The Italian herbs should give it a good taste, but these days I also often add anchovies and other optional herbs (coriander or nutmeg for example).

After that I always add a handful of those raw vegetables ("rauwkost") and optional some slices of cheese.

Then it's time to get your hands dirty (though washing them up front and continuing to do so is adviced). Butter up the dish and add the first layer of lasagna ribbons. Then add the sauce and on top of that add some of the raw vegetables. Then it's time for another layer of lasagna ribbons, sauce, vegetables, and so on.

I like adding cheese to the sauce as well as separate on top, but that's also something to vary on. Either way; I also like to add some cheese on top of the lasagna. For both taste as well as looks.

Then you need to put this into the oven, I usually let it go for 40 - 50 minutes or so *. After which you should have a good, basic, lasagna dish.

Edit: At 180 degrees celcius, can't believe I missed that.

So far the basics. As mentioned above I also like adding anchovies these days, works quite well. I also tend to spend way too much time on adding herbs and the likes. I like my food spicy, but only if it still retains its taste. I don't, for example, like a lasagna sauce with a pepper taste, especially if the spicy bit solely comes from the pepper.

In that case it's a failure for me because you added pepper to spice it up, but in doing so also ruined the sauce (because it should not taste like pepper alone).

But of course you can add pepper and other herbs which, when done right, can "mask" the pepper taste (though I wouldn't recommend on trying this if you're not somewhat familiar with the approach already. practice makes perfect, sure, but you might risk a peppered up dish).

Alas.. optional stuff. I often like to add a little ketjap when the pork and leek are almost done. That gives a somewhat "dark" taste to the meat (as I like to call it, hard to describe taste). I also like to add some lemon juice to the sauce which can add somewhat of a fresh taste (and vitamin C ;)).

Same applies to the nutmeg (careful with that) and pepper.

And that's basically it.

Hope non-Dutch people can make some sense of this, if not then don't hesitate to demand more info ;)

And bon appetit!

Thanks for the recipe, I'll give it a try some time! It sounds like an Italian classic with an oriental twist.

A few notes:

ShelLuser said:
I'm not a fan of Mr. Ramsay, not at all.
Granted, he's not my favourite celebrity chef either (that would be Anthony Bourdain!) but I do find him entertaining and he's certainly one of the best-globally-known chefs, hence the title of this thread ;)

ShelLuser said:
150 - 200g beef ("ham"?)
Ham is not beef, it's pork. Since we're talking lasagna, perhaps you meant ground beef (Dutch: gehakt)?

ShelLuser said:
lasagna ribbons (?)
Sheets, I presume?

ShelLuser said:
Optional: sambal
I'm not sure how common the term sambal is in anglophone countries, but just in case: it's essentially a chili paste, see here. Note: sambal is typically oriental, so if you want to put it into an Italian dish like lasagna (I do, too) you'll probably want a variant that adds heat but doesn't introduce too many (often overly dominant) new flavours. Sambal oelek would be a good choice. It's not the hottest kind of sambal, but it can spice things up without influencing the overall flavour too much and it has a nice vibrant red colour.

ShelLuser said:
(coriander or nutmeg for example)
Note to anglophones: coriander is also known in some parts of the world (particularly the U.S. it seems) as cilantro.

fonz said:
Thanks for the recipe, I'll give it a try some time! It sounds like an Italian classic with an oriental twist.
Well, that's easily explained because my girlfriend has an Asian origin. Then you'll automatically pick up certain traits and approaches. Some of them are good, others a bit too specific, but when it comes to the ingredients I mentioned above I noticed that they can easily go through almost everything.

But the original recipe is without the optional stuff. But the nice thing about it is because it's somewhat general it allows for a lot of tweaking if you're up for it (like the anchovies; thanks for the edit by the way! (I'm assuming that was you ;))).

fonz said:
Granted, he's not my favourite celebrity chef either (that would be Anthony Bourdain!) but I do find him entertaining and he's certainly one of the best-globally-known chefs, hence the title of this thread ;)
Oh, I fully agree with that. Problem is that I dislike him enough to mention my somewhat disdain ;)

fonz said:
Ham is not beef, it's pork. Since we're talking lasagna, perhaps you meant ground beef (Dutch: gehakt)?
No, no, no; thanks! That is exactly what I meant. It is also perfectly doable with ground beef (I already tried that approach too) but the main recipe is with pork.

I changed the stuff up there, sorry about the jesting (couldn't resist), but because I somewhat fell into this thread unprepared I simply started writing. I couldn't find any reference to 'pork' as such ended up with beef.

No; it's a slice of pork meat which you need to chop up into smaller parts.

fonz said:
Sheets, I presume?
I honestly have no idea. I looked it up on Google and they started with ribbons, leaves and all sorts of things. Alas; I added the whole lot, hopefully it makes some more sense this way.

I was >< close to make an off topic comment about Office ribbons but figured I'd better not ;)

fonz said:
I'm not sure how common the term sambal is in anglophone countries, but just in case: it's essentially a chili paste, see here. Note: sambal is typically oriental, so if you want to put it into an Italian dish like lasagna (I do, too) you'll probably want a variant that adds heat but doesn't introduce too many (often overly dominant) new flavours. Sambal oelek would be a good choice.
Thanks Fonz, much appreciated.

Absolutely, same here. Oelek is a good pick for this. In fact; it's the only Sambal I use because you can add 'spice' without adding too much "overhead" (as I like to call it).

Some time ago my girlfriend introduced me to 'wasabi'. Man, that stuff can kill you when used improperly! (I think so anyway, she had some original home-made sauce which was out of the ordinary for my taste). Even so; it is another Asian herb / sauce which can also add spice without adding too much overhead (though I prefer Sambal). When I first tasted wasabi (pure) I actually had to gasp for breath for a brief moment, that stuff really can be that strong... Amazing stuff.

But yeah, Sambal is the safer approach here.

Back