The end of the web browser

I tried to find more info for WebAssembly (again). I am not sure but it seems it does not have its GUI. I expected to find libraries for things like window maganer, easy way to create menus and other GUI dialog options.

Webassembly lacks facilities for threads, flexible stack unwinding and a few other things that make it an impossible target for many full-blown programming languages.

GUI means (graphical) User Interface. User Interface is the set of elements like menus, dialog boxes, etc. Browser is not the GUI - it is the working surface. Developer can make own GUI library but my question/expectation was for existing and standard library from WebAssembly developers and not 10 alternative libraries created by 10 independent developers.

This is made with webassembly. Don't know whether it is only WASM or includes JS.
(It is not example for GUI - it is example for graphics)

One thing I like about the phone browsers is that they display tabs in a 2 column thumbnail gallery. I also keep scores of tabs open at once, and this makes finding the correct tab much easier. However, I'm unable to figure out how to reorder the tabs on the phone like I can do with the large monitor browsers. I'd like to see someone program a browser with the best of both worlds, something like a multiple column thumbnail gallery with the ability to reorder tabs using drag and drop.

The Samsung browser I described above has single column tabs, but reordering them is easy, and lockable.

Surprised to learn that a 32 GB RAM phone only allocates a max of about 2.7 GB RAM per app. Another point in favor of non-phone systems in my opinion.

If you meant mine(?), it's 3 (three) GB RAM, with 2.7 GB total for all running apps!

Getting 2 Thinkpads going, but most of the last 4 years in care I've only had a phone, so making the most of it.

User Interface is the set of elements like menus, dialog boxes, etc. Browser is not the GUI - it is the working surface.

So you are saying the browser does not display elements like menus, dialog boxes, etc?

EDIT: Actually, I think I know what you're getting at. What you want is a library that supplies gui elements. WebAssembly is not a library and does not do that. You are asking for something like why doesn't the C compiler supply gui elements.

The Samsung browser I described above has single column tabs, but reordering them is easy, and lockable.

If you meant mine(?), it's 3 (three) GB RAM, with 2.7 GB total for all running apps!

Getting 2 Thinkpads going, but most of the last 4 years in care I've only had a phone, so making the most of it.
Must have misread that. I guess my friend isn't the only one whose eyes play tricks on him.

You are asking for something like why doesn't the C compiler supply gui elements.
My C compilers supply gui elements. They are not part of the C language but they exist.

Anyway we can stop the discussion. I understood that WebAssembly is not what it seemed to me.

My C compilers supply gui elements. They are not part of the C language but they exist.
C compilers don't "supply GUI elements". There are, however, Windows implementations of C compilers that bundle GUI libs / include files from elsewhere, like QT or wxWidgets. 😮‍💨

Back