The Absolute FreeBSD Book - Where to get it cheaply?

CodeBlock

I am looking to get the Absolute FreeBSD book because I often see it recommended here, and by looking at the description on amazon, it seems to cover a lot of things that I have questions or misunderstandings about. However money is very tight and I'm looking for some ideas on the best/cheapest second-hand way to grab it. The best Amazon used has is ~$20.00 which is cheap for the book, but I still want to see if I can get a better deal.

Maybe someone here is done with it and selling it, or at least knows of a place to get it cheaper than Amazon (already checked the local libraries, they don't have it).

Any ideas?

anomie

Aspiring Daemon

You could talk to your local library about an interlibrary loan. (i.e. They request it from another library -- it could even be from a different state.) I do this from time to time.

That's in the US. It may be different where you live.

OP
CodeBlock

CodeBlock

anomie said:
You could talk to your local library about an interlibrary loan. (i.e. They request it from another library -- it could even be from a different state.) I do this from time to time.

That's in the US. It may be different where you live.

I live in the US, and that might be possible. Not sure - the library I checked already has quite a few branches and none of them have it. I'm not sure if they'll get stuff from completely separate libraries or not... Something to check out I guess....I might just throw Amazon the $20 bucks and get it, but again I just wanted to see if anyone had any alternative ideas.

Bunyan

"Absolute FreeBSD" is a valuable piece of reading.
I borrowed it from bsd fans via p2p net protocol.
I hope Michael Lucas won't blame me for that.
It can also be found at knowree.net

DutchDaemon

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Developer

I'm sure everyone will make an effort to give the author of this fine work his due, right?

tangram

Aspiring Daemon

DutchDaemon said:
I'm sure everyone will make an effort to give the author of this fine work his due, right?

And by doing so maybe contribute for future book from Lucas. A publisher happy with its BSD book sales might want a AFBSD 3rd edition, or something around the lines of a similar book for the other BSDs.

OP
CodeBlock

CodeBlock

Yeah, you make a valid point. I just don't have the cash right now...

Anyway thanks for the ideas.

saxon3049

I gave a copy to my mate 3 weeks ago, shame as you could have had it for shipping. I will see if he dosent want it any more as he was scared by FreeBSD after half a hour (he's not a technical user)

OP
CodeBlock

CodeBlock

saxon3049 said:
I gave a copy to my mate 3 weeks ago, shame as you could have had it for shipping. I will see if he dosent want it any more as he was scared by FreeBSD after half a hour (he's not a technical user)

Not sure what shipping from England -> U.S. would entail, but that would have been sweet. Let me know if you can still do it, I have not ordered it from Amazon yet.