Text only installation - how to get system to recognize HDMI monitor plugged in after boot

To elaborate on the subject above, if I boot with a monitor installed, I get the console. However if I plug the monitor in after the system is booted, it doesn't appear to be recognized.

Is there a command I can execute (via ssh) to make the system recognize the monitor?

Thanks.

In my experience; no. On some systems HDMI works whenever a cable is plugged in, on other systems it only works if there is a cable (and monitor) attached at boot time. I have not been able to find a way to enable a "disabled" HDMI output after a machine has booted.

I've had the effect with a few monitor/graphics card combinations, that in console mode, after I switched off the monitor for hours (leaving the computer on), and then on again, the monitor would not recognize a signal. My unconfirmed suspicion is that the graphics card somehow noticed that no one wanted the signal and turned it off and wouldn't detect that a monitor was powered-on again.
I could convince the graphics card to send a signal again after switching to graphics mode (blindly typing startx to start the X server).
Try finding a way to switch video modes and see if it helps.

Back