Solved Terminal broken in UEFI mode in version 10.3

Hi everyone!

I want install FreeBSD 10.3 in my laptop. I have problem with broken terminal in UEFI mode. I prepared USB Flash memory with FreeBSD10.3 UEFI memstick image(I'm using dd on Linux) and I tried to run installer from it. Loader looks fine(It doesn't fill whole screen), but when it launches kernel terminal broke. I attach screenshot to show you how it's looks like:
keymF2h.jpg

This problem doesn't exist in GhostBSD which is based on FreeBSD 10. In UEFI mode terminal looks fine, so I think there is a problem with configuration in FreeBSD. Yes, I can install GhostBSD, but I really want to install 'clean' FreeBSD. Problem isn't exist in Legacy mode(UEFI off) too, but I can install it only in UEFI mode.

English isn't my native language, so please forgive me mistakes.

Last edited:
Which GhostBSD version do you refer to ?
And what's your hardware, specifically the graphics ?

Most likely the setting that is affecting your hw is kern.vty="vt" (as opposed to kern.vty="sc").

Sorry, I forgot about specification.

I tried GhostBSD version 10.1. I have laptop with Intel Core i3 3110M(IvyBridge) and hybrid graphics Intel HD4000 and Radeon HD 7670M.

I'll try to run FreeBSD with vt, maybe this will help me.

Edit: I tried escaping to loader prompt and set variable: set kern.vty="vt", and boot with boot command, but It's not working - terminal is still broken.

I'm not sure how to fix this but I encountered a similar problem when installing FreeBSD 11 Alpha 6 on my two year old laptop that supports 1600 x 900 resolution. Only half of the screen was used by the installation program and the other half was blank. The text was compressed and almost illegible so I picked installation options based on educated guesses. After installation the resolution was perfect 1600 x 900 and I was able to install Gnome 3 etc.

When installing the same FreeBSD on a different older laptop I did not encounter the issue probably because the older video hardware is better supported and the maximum possible resolution is 1280 x 1024.

This makes sense, but how I can install FreeBSD when I can't see anything? I can't create and modify partitions in my disk, when I can't see what I'm doing.

PS: I have laptop, my resolution is 1366x768.

I figured out how to fix this on my Lenovo laptop. It might work for your laptop, too. After copying the installation image to a memory stick, I created an additional file on the memory stick, /boot/loader.rc.local with just one line:

gop set 0

I think that at least on *UEFI* bootup of the installer, it is read in addition to loader.rc and for me it set the correct resolution 1600 x 900 before bringing up the graphical installation program.

If the above doesn't work, try researching further based on this thread:

https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/53150/

I figured out how to fix this on my Lenovo laptop. It might work for your laptop, too. After copying the installation image to a memory stick, I created an additional file on the memory stick, /boot/loader.rc.local with just one line:

gop set 0

I think that at least on *UEFI* bootup of the installer, it is read in addition to loader.rc and for me it set the correct resolution 1600 x 900 before bringing up the graphical installation program.

If the above doesn't work, try researching further based on this thread:

https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/53150/
It works!

This single line solved my problem. Now terminal looks fine in UEFI mode. Thank you very much bro.

Now I can install FreeBSD on my laptop.

Back