tape backups in 2024

Why use a tape when you can have usb disks ?
Do usb tapes exist?
USB sticks are less durable and prone to more physical wear and tear than hard drives.

There are USB LTO tape drives. Expensive though. Probably around $7,000, although you can probably find some less expensive and also find used ones.

Optical drives are another medium used for backups.

All of them have pros and cons. It is all about tradeoffs and what you're willing to accept.

Not aware of USB LOT tapes, what I have seen is SCSI, SAS and Fibrechannel.
I think the autocorrupt fairy got you here...

There are USB versions, and they are expensive. Once you got one, it is getting cheaper. But for me as a private no-hoarder, that does not make much sense.

I just checked the price tag for LTO drives. These are a serious investment, and you can get a huge pile of SSD/SR drives for that.
What would the benefit of tape be here?
For large users (not amateurs or home users), the price of the drive is nearly irrelevant. The drive will be utilized for 5-7 years, it will be continuously busy reading and writing, and costs much less than the tapes.

So let's look at the cost of media. I will use publicly available prices: 20TB of disk (which is probably the sweet spot today in terms of $/GB) costs about $350, or $18/TB. LTO-8 media is $45 for 12 TB (I'm using uncompressed size, assuming that the software stack above has done maximum compression, usually a good assumption), which works out to $4/TB. With LTO-9, it is about $85 for 18TB, a tad more expensive at rounded $5/TB. The prices for 359x cartridges are similar per TB. That difference alone (little factor of 4 or 5!) is what makes tapes still very attractive.

Now, you might (correctly) argue that $1 in disk drive costs $5 once assembled into a server and connected to the network, costs $100 over its lifetime in power and cooling, and administration can (if one is careless) multiply that even higher. This is correct, and the growth (scaling) curve for tape is very different than for disk. Tapes that are not actively being read or written don't need power, don't need rack space, don't need network connectivity. To get anywhere near the same efficiency, disks would need to be powered down (that's called MAID technology, and exists in production, but in few places), and perhaps even physically removed to a vault (I've heard of that being done, but I don't know current production settings). On the other hand, tapes need a large investment in robot technology (the big StorageTek libraries cost about $1M, but they also held several thousand tape cartridges, and had a dozen drives). And archiving tape has a high overhead of physical movement: boxes of tapes need to be driven to/from the vault. The real cost of tape versus disk is a fascinating question, and depends very much on the expected access pattern. But the basic cost difference (of a factor of 4 or 5 today) tilts that playing field very much towards tape for archival and long-term storage.

Back in the 1990s I remember watching 566 BPI 7-track tapes full of landsat data being copied to optical tape. The magnetic oxide was peeling off the mylar base of the 1/2 inch tape. The CSIRO developed a special process to bake the tapes in a oven, causing the oxide to re-adhere. But it fell off again, permanently, after one pass of the read heads. So it was a one-shot operation.

Also, I have worked in at least two large organisations where it had been so long since tapes were used for backup, that nobody was quite sure whether the tapes, so carefully stored to meet statutory requirements, could be read -- either by the perennially idle tape robots, or by backup software products that had not been used, maintained, or supported for many years.

I conclude that the only reliable archival mechanisms are designed from the outset to actively curate the data, and verify recoverability on a routine basis.

There is a nice blog post of someone who got some old CRAY disk drives to read them out, and manages to do so in a great McGyver way. I'm sure there was duck tape and a swiss army knife involved somewhere.

The people recovering data from 30, 40 or more years old tape today disagrees with you. After so many years, tapes are unreliable, tape drives too.
So far all the tapes I got to see from 30 - 40 years ago, there had been no issue at all to restore data from them including 9" round tapes. :-/

Perhaps I just got lucky. 😆 😅

Back