System requirements are too high - discussion field only works in a few browsers

I always find it a constant battle to post in this forum. I have to shuffle through computer after computer and browser after browser to find something that works.

That seems at odds with how difficult it is just to get FreeBSD and any web browser at all working sometimes.

What is so important here that someone needs the latest greatest browser to post anyway?

If you must know I am finished with the days of upgrading computers. Unless one breaks I am not upgrading it. This means I am never using the latest stuff and I do not care. No more days of unpaid system administration for me.

It is certainly one way to filter the amount of people that post in these forums that is for sure.

🤣 Bad bad FreeBSD forums 😂

Edit: i edited this post from lenovo x120e with AMD E-350 CPU 1.6ghz / 4GB ram, FB 12.2 , running mate and posted with chromium browser. I'm sure there are members with lower specs.

Uhm, yeah. That's how the web works today, you will need a recent version of e.g. chromium or firefox (btw both working fine for me on FreeBSD) to use most websites. You don't have to like it (I mostly don't, I think web apps mostly took the wrong turn), but you have no choice but to accept it.

If you want to discuss FreeBSD, ask questions, and so on, there are still (very active) mailinglists. And there are perfectly good MUAs that need nothing but a terminal, e.g. mail/neomutt.

Uhm, yeah. That's how the web works today, you will need a recent version of e.g. chromium or firefox (btw both working fine for me on FreeBSD) to use most websites. You don't have to like it (I mostly don't, I think web apps mostly took the wrong turn), but you have no choice but to accept it.

If you want to discuss FreeBSD, ask questions, and so on, there are still (very active) mailinglists. And there are perfectly good MUAs that need nothing but a terminal, e.g. mail/neomutt.
Or even more lightweight options such as irc. :)

STFW, i.e. site:(forums|bugs|lists).freebsd.org+%s will reduce the "constant battle" of starting a new thread.

Not sure whether e.g. irc/irssi (just cause I use it) is "more lightweight" than mail/neomutt 🤔

But IRC is nice for sure, me likes. I see a weird tendency to move to "more modern" stuff like matrix :what: – well, at least not for official FreeBSD channels so far ;)
I use both, but irc is by far more comfortable, in my personal opinion. There's some console-driven clients for matrix, I'm not sure if it's available for FreeBSD tho.

Jason_25 And here I am, from the beginning of these forums and long before, never having any issues with FreeBSD or any browser reading and posting to these forums. I'm not sure anyone else here is having issues that were of their own making.

Specifically, what issues with which browser are you, and you alone, having?

That's how the web works today, you will need a recent version of e.g. chromium or firefox (btw both working fine for me on FreeBSD) to use most websites.

A proper web develop team tests their web site two versions back. Some go further back than that. Web sites that only work with the current version are bleeding edge high tech sites, not for the casual user, or not worth visiting at all.

Hey Siri, what do you call "a dwarf or giant in Scandinavian folklore inhabiting caves or hills"? t.jpg

I literally can post into this Forum by using a Raspberry Pi, so I am STILL struggling to find some hardware which this forum breaks. Heck, even my el-cheapo smartphone works well enough with it!

Jason_25 : Sometimes, even high-spec systems will struggle with posting to forums if the network path between two end points is congested. A couple things you can try:
  • Freshly booted system, just the browser open to one tab to forums.freebsd.org. I can tell you, these forums do load much better than other sites like reddit or espn.
  • A recent version of the browser (like Zirias and drhowarddrfine pointed out earlier) really helps.
Beyond that, if you live in a neighborhood where all your neighbors use Zoom, play World of Warcraft, and stream Netflix 24/7 thanks to the lockdowns, not much you can do about bandwidth hogs. 😩

Back