system 12.4 update to13.2

Hello.
My systems on servers 12.4.
I need to update the system to 13.2, are there any problems with the update?
On one of the servers with a 12.4 system, I use jail virtualization.
Will jail start correctly in this case?

I need to update the system to 13.2, are there any problems with the update?
Only one I noticed. If you do the upgrade make sure to reboot at least once before running pkg upgrade to update the packages to their 13.x versions. If you don't you might end up with a bunch of configuration files in /usr/local/etc/ that are suddenly 0 bytes.

Also keep an eye on your boot code, 13 uses OpenZFS so you will need to upgrade the bootcode. Be mindful that the efi partition may not be entirely correct. I've had errors trying to copy the new loader.efi and got an error, it appears it won't fit even though the efi partition is big enough. This is due to the 'old' way of copying loader.efifat. You may need to newfs_msdos(8) the efi partition.

On one of the servers with a 12.4 system, I use jail virtualization.
Will jail start correctly in this case?
A 12.x jail will run just fine on 13.x. Upgrade your jails after you completed the upgrade of the host. I would suggest creating new jails with the new version and migrate them one at a time. That will keep things a bit more manageable, you only have to deal with minor issues instead of breaking everything all at once.

pkg upgrade
I have everything installed from /usr/ports.
I don't use zfs.
A 12.x jail will run just fine on 13.x. Upgrade your jails after you completed the upgrade of the host. I would suggest creating new jails with the new version and migrate them one at a time. That will keep things a bit more manageable, you only have to deal with minor issues instead of breaking everything all at once.
If I start creating a new jail, the old one will not work, I need to update all the software in the old one.

Hint: read the release notes for 13.0, 13.1 and 13.2.

Notes for 13.1 include something important that's not noted for 13.2.

If you’ve got a spare machine why not set it up as per your other machine(s) and do a test upgrade? Or try in a VM?

Yes it takes time but should be a pretty good guide as to how your real upgrades might go and if you make a mistake or two then you find out on test systems.

The only real pitfall should be restarting sshd manually after the first freebsd-update install, otherwise you won't be able to (re)-connect via SSH.

Jails can be upgraded afterwards at a later point, they will continue to run just fine. Although I wouldn't wait too long, as the package repositories for FreeBSD:12 are already gone, so you can't update packages any more and some stuff is hard to update once the delta is too high (databases or huge and fragile card houses like gitlab come to mind...)

*if* you'd run that system on ZFS, you could simply snapshot & bookmark the whole zroot pool and in case of fire just roll back everything to the previous state.

Back