Solved Synth and 12.0 upgrade

Sevendogsbsd

So...upgraded my build server from 11.2 to 12 (both RELEASE) and this was successful. Followed the upgrade instructions for package upgrade after OS upgrade. All seemed well, until I updated the ports tree and attempted to use ports-mgmt/synth to rebuild the ports I use. ports-mgmt/synth spat an error message saying:
Code:
raised REPLICANT.SCENARIO_UNEXPECTED : /usr/sbin/mtree -p /usr/obj/synth-live/SL09/var -f /etc/mtree/BSD.var.dist -deqU => failed (exit code not 0)
I am stumped so wanted to see if anyone can clue me in. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Sevendogsbsd

Sevendogsbsd

So, solved, but in a brutal way: did a fresh install on my server and now everything is working fine. It doesn't take long to install, and I only have 3 packages installed so it's not difficult at all. Actually, the initial upgrade from 11.2 to 12 took longer than a complete reinstall and configure...ports-mgmt/synth is happily building away as we speak.

OP
OP
Sevendogsbsd

Sevendogsbsd

I find it a little odd that ports-mgt/synth is touching anything in OS space - shouldn't it be only updating things under /usr/local that the end user is installing?

SirDice

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator

I find it a little odd that ports-mgt/synth is touching anything in OS space - shouldn't it be only updating things under /usr/local that the end user is installing?
Some ports require a specific user account to be created for example. They will fail to build as files need to be chown(8) and you can't do that if the account doesn't exist.