Synaptics Touchpad freezes if Powerd is enabled

Hi all, first of all, I have to say that I'm completely a newbie in the BSD world :D

I installed FreeBSD on my Alienware M17X, everything seems to work flawlessy. I installed X, then KDE and I got no problem at all (even with an ATI video card that gave me lots of troubles on Linux, that's amazing!).

The problem now is with the touchpad: I haven't enabled Synaptics support (I'll explain later why). When I use the touchpad, the mouse cursor often freezes and then moves "randomly", making it useless. After some research, I tried to disable powerd (I enabled it in the installation wizard), and now it seems that there's no problem at all about the mouse. Of course that's not a real solution because battery life is really poor now.

If there's no known fix, there is any powerd alternative on FreeBSD?

About Synaptics, when I install xf86-input-synaptics, the system just stops working. I have to reboot with the power key, but X becomes useless. However now that I can see the touchpad working, I know there's no need to install this, as it just works (except the "incompatibily" with powerd, which is what I'm asking you about :D)

Cero said:
When I use the touchpad, the mouse cursor often freezes and then moves "randomly", making it useless. After some research, I tried to disable powerd (I enabled it in the installation wizard), and now it seems that there's no problem at all about the mouse.

Maybe powerd sets the CPU at a very low speed (I've seen such issue with the ndis driver)

A trick could be to set the sysctl debug.cpufreq.lowest to a higher frequency. You can retrieve the frequencies with sysctl dev.cpu.0.freq_levels

Just an idea, regards.

plamaiziere said:
May be powerd sets the cpu at a very low speed (I've seen such issue with the ndis driver..)

A trick could be to set the sysctl debug.cpufreq.lowest to a higher frequency. You can retrieve the frequencies with the sysctl dev.cpu.0.freq_levels

Just an idea, regards.
That would be strange, because the USB mouse works without issues.

However, that's the output of sysctl dev.cpu.0.freq_levels
Code:
2395/35000 2261/32777 2128/30555 1995/28333 1862/26111 1729/23888 1596/21666 1463/19444 1330/17222
 1197/15000 1047/13125 897/11250 748/9375 598/7500 448/5625 299/3750 149/1875

If I understood it right. Well, lower frequencies are VERY low :O
I'll let you know if it helps.

Mmmm there's no way to edit posts?

However, doesn't fix the issue (I put the minimum frequency to 897, it should be enough to handle the mouse, right? :\)

Back