Synaptics touchpad and tap to click

chrbr

Aspiring Daemon

I own a Fujitsu laptop of the Celsius H Series. I am quite sure that tap-to-click did work until FreeBSD-12.1. Now I have upgraded to FreeBSD-12.2 and tap-to-click does not work anymore in X11. By the way, tap-to-click emulates mouse clicks when touching the pad for one or more times. In the vt console I could see that tap-to-click can be used to mark words or lines. Setting hw.psm.* variables in boot/loader.conf did not change the situation. Therefore I tried to configure X11. The following file has been copied from the Gentoo-Wiki and saved as //usr/local/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/90-touchpad.conf
Code:
Section "InputClass"
        Identifier "touchpad"
        MatchIsTouchpad "on"
        Driver "libinput"
        Option "Tapping" "on"
EndSection

Now tap-to-click works in X11 again. One strange thing is the output of libinput list-devices as
Code:
Device:           SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad
Kernel:           /dev/input/event6
Group:            7
Seat:             seat0, default
Size:             58x32mm
Capabilities:     pointer
Tap-to-click:     disabled        <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Tap-and-drag:     enabled
Tap drag lock:    disabled
Left-handed:      disabled
Nat.scrolling:    disabled
Middle emulation: n/a
Calibration:      n/a
Scroll methods:   *two-finger edge
Click methods:    none
Disable-w-typing: enabled
Accel profiles:   flat *adaptive
Rotation:         n/a

Here tap-to-click is still reported as off. At least I have a working fix which might be helpful for others. But I still like to know if there has been any change which caused tap-to-click not to work in X11. The report of libinput looks suspicious, too. Is there any explanation? I have found none in the problem reports and the X11 mailing list. May be I id not use the right keywords.

Kind regards,
Christoph

OP
chrbr

chrbr

Aspiring Daemon

Dear [USER=57794]nunotex[/USER],
I have had to install xf86-input-synaptics first. Then the response is
Code:
Couldn't find synaptics properties. No synaptics driver loaded?

On the other hand there are section in /var/log/Xorg.log which indicate happiness with the hardware.
Code:
[  2343.573] (II) config/udev: Adding input device SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad (/dev/input/event6)
[  2343.573] (**) SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad: Applying InputClass "libinput pointer catchall"
[  2343.573] (**) SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad: Applying InputClass "libinput touchpad catchall"
[  2343.573] (**) SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad: Applying InputClass "touchpad catchall"
[  2343.573] (**) SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad: Applying InputClass "Default clickpad buttons"
[  2343.573] (**) SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad: Applying InputClass "touchpad"
[  2343.573] (II) Using input driver 'libinput' for 'SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad'
[  2343.573] (**) SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad: always reports core events
[  2343.573] (**) Option "Device" "/dev/input/event6"
[  2343.573] (**) Option "_source" "server/udev"
[  2343.574] (II) event6  - SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad: is tagged by udev as: Mouse Touchpad
[  2343.576] (II) event6  - SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad: device is a touchpad
[  2343.576] (II) event6  - SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad: device removed
[  2343.576] (**) Option "Tapping" "on"
[  2343.576] (**) Option "config_info" "udev:/dev/input/event6"
[  2343.576] (II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad" (type: TOUCHPAD, id 11)
[  2343.577] (**) Option "AccelerationScheme" "none"
[  2343.577] (**) SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad: (accel) selected scheme none/0
[  2343.577] (**) SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad: (accel) acceleration factor: 2.000
[  2343.577] (**) SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad: (accel) acceleration threshold: 4
[  2343.578] (II) event6  - SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad: is tagged by udev as: Mouse Touchpad
[  2343.579] (II) event6  - SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad: device is a touchpad

Do I have do things differently?

the3ajm

On my Dell Vostro 1400, I had to configure moused to get my tap working and KDE didn't see my touchpad under their setting.

nunotex

That means you don't have synaptics driver loaded but instead loaded by libinput.
With synaptics loaded xlog should have this:
[ 52644.635] (II) Using input driver 'synaptics' for 'SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad'
and you have:
[ 2343.573] (II) Using input driver 'libinput' for 'SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad'

nunotex

It seams that you get x drivers messed and you could reinstall X and all dependencies, reboot and check if driver synaptics is loaded:
synclient TapButton1=1
and check properties to see its status
synclient -l | grep TapButton1

OP
chrbr

chrbr

Aspiring Daemon

It seams that you get x drivers messed and you could reinstall X and all dependencies, reboot and check if driver synaptics is loaded:
I have re-installed all packages by pkg upgrade -f. That fixed the issue. Now I have synclient TapButton1=1 in my .xinitrc and deleted /usr/local/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/90-touchpad.conf. I think that this fine now. Thank you very much!

Misirca

I confirm it worked out of the box with FreeBSD 12.1.
Something is going wrong with synaptic driver new default settings.

Thanks for the .xinitrc hotfix.