Switching from /usr/src to freebsd-update

I have been compiling the OS and the ports for years. I like watching the compile log on the screen. However, I spent too much time on it already.

Yesterday I tried freebsd-update on a new machine and it was great. The question is whether it is safe and clean to run freebsd-update on machines that were updated by make buildkernel && make buildworld in the past. Will it remove the obsolete files? What about updating /etc? As far as I understood I don’t have to run mergemaster anymore.

Is it okay just to switch?

I did exactly this and switched from 10.3-PRERELEASE to 10.3-BETA1 (and BETA2) via freebsd-update. I first downloaded the kernel.txz from the ftp site, ran strings on it to find out the specific revision that it was compiled with and then built that version from source after checking it out from svn. That gave me the same 10.3-BETA1 release. I then ran freebsd-update IDS which listed all the files on the system which differed. I then used the base.txz, kernel.txz, and source.txz files to extract any files which didn't match until freebsd-update IDS told me that all files on the system were as expected. Then I succesfully used it to update to BETA2 without any issues at all.

I suspect that freebsd-update is probably intelligent enough to deal with files that don't quite match anyway, but I wanted to be 100% sure so did it this way. FYI those files came from ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/amd64/10.3-BETA2/

I first downloaded the kernel.txz from the ftp site, ran strings on it to find out the specific revision that it was compiled with and then built that version from source after checking it out from svn. That gave me the same 10.3-BETA1 release.
No need to look that up, it's /base/releng/10.3 for 10.3-RELEASE, /base/releng/10.2 for 10.2-RELEASE and /base/releng/10.1 for 10.1-RELEASE.

The /base/releng/10.3 doesn't exist yet as it's not "released" yet. It should be there when the release candidates are created.

Thank you for the replies, I was a bit AFK.

One of my servers is built from: svn://svn0.us-west.freebsd.org/base/releng/10.2
Another is built from https://github.com/freebsd/freebsd.git

I prefer the git repository for the performance, however, its make buildworld doesn’t seem to add the version numbers to the config files.

First server:
Code:
$ cat /etc/amd.map

# $FreeBSD: releng/10.2/etc/amd.map 164015 2006-11-06 01:42:11Z obrien $

#

/defaults       type:=host;fs:=${autodir}/${rhost}/host;rhost:=${key}

*               opts:=rw,grpid,resvport,vers=3,proto=tcp,nosuid,nodev

Second server:
Code:
$ cat /etc/amd.map

# $FreeBSD$

#

/defaults       type:=host;fs:=${autodir}/${rhost}/host;rhost:=${key}

*               opts:=rw,grpid,resvport,vers=3,proto=tcp,nosuid,nodev

I usually run mergemaster -ad and mergemaster -F. This is less efficient on the server that has its world built from the git repository. I have no clue whether this has an effect on freebsd-update.

The uname -a outputs are the same (except the date and revision parts):
Code:
$uname -a

FreeBSD sharon 10.2-RELEASE-p8 FreeBSD 10.2-RELEASE-p8 #0

Back