Switching from Linux to FreeBSD, where to start?

Just installed FreeBSD 11.1 on my main computer now, everything is working fine. Running KDE Plasma 5, so far so great. Managed to get outboard USB soundcard to work as well :)
Im enjoying it, no problems :)

Just installed FreeBSD 11.1 on my main computer now, everything is working fine. Running KDE Plasma 5, so far so great. Managed to get outboard USB soundcard to work as well :)
Im enjoying it, no problems :)
Why 11.1? 11.2 was released some time ago and 11.1 will soon be EOL.

Is KDE Plasma 5 considered stable enough for everyday use now or is this one you compiled from source? I’m very interested in this. I like wobbly windows and things but I want to theme it like Ubuntu’s Unity. Thanks.

Is KDE Plasma 5 considered stable enough for everyday use now or is this one you compiled from source? I’m very interested in this. I like wobbly windows and things but I want to theme it like Ubuntu’s Unity. Thanks.
It's stable enough, not perfect though. There's no need to compile it from source, it's already available through pkg.
And I don't think there's a Unity theme in the ports collection, you'll probably have to get it and compile it by your own.

Thanks I think I might install FreeBSD on the metal when I get home and try it out. I hope I can get the Unity theme working cos I hate the Windows/taskbar paradigm, I actually like my PC to be like a giant phone.

Back