Solved swap not getting turned on?

What I was doing:
You can also limit how much RAM firefox can hog, supposedly. rctl(8) works on jails and specific-number processes. I'm in the middle of reading a klarasystems article about that. Basic idea, if you apply rctl(8) to the jail that has firefox in it, this just might work. But like I said, I'm in the middle of exploring that.
So, I created a jail following instructions I found on https://wiki.freebsd.org/JailingGUIApplications ... And at the step that says zfs set readonly=on zroot/jails/firefox/root I got an error message saying cannot open 'root/jails/firefox/root': dataset does not exist

zfs list | grep firefox shows that it does in fact exist... So I figured I'd reboot the laptop (Ideapad 720S-13ARR, with 13.1-RELEASE), and try re-running that step again. Well, something went wrong, and the boot process just hung. I managed to notice that the boot process is not turning on swap - because it can't see the swap partition (swapon: /dev/nvd0p3: No such file or directory is the exact line)! Boot process hangs shortly after, I don't get a login prompt or the ability to type anything.

If there's any more info that I could provide to help matters along, please let me know!

FWIW, I tried to boot an install disk as a rescue disk - and it can see the partitions just fine, on the rescue disk, gpart tells me the disk is fine, and will even cooperate when I use swapon /dev/nvd0p3 ! But when I remove the install stick, and boot off the laptop's SSD, it's the same errors...

maybe the jail software modified some of the devfs rules
That's an idea... looking closer at the wiki, the edits suggested there are of the hide/unhide variety:
# /etc/devfs.rules

[devfsrules_desktop_jail=5]
add include $devfsrules_hide_all
add include $devfsrules_unhide_basic
add include $devfsrules_unhide_login
add path 'mixer*' unhide
add path 'dsp*' unhide

This is the only jail on my laptop so far... I basically want that jail to have the same rules as the metal, no point hiding/unhiding anything. And that hide/unhide probably messed things up for me. I'm gonna try to just add the path mixer and dsp, and try to match the rest of the /etc/devfs.conf that I have on my laptop...

I do appreciate the replies here... Nothing like a good night's sleep to wake up and see info that gives me ideas! :D

Did you explicitly assign a certain-dataset to a certain-jail ?
Yep, as per the instructions in that wiki...

I have to say, I followed those instructions pretty blindly, and there's a good chance that my lack of knowledge about jails (and correlating them to the ZFS datasets) made me lose track of something.

Back