Solved Suspend to RAM Dell XPS 13 9310

Hi everyone,

I managed to get FreeBSD 13.1-RELEASE-p5 installed on my 2020 Dell XPS 13 9310 yesterday with some help from the IRC room. Apart from the WiFi not working initially (due to user error) everything went fine. The one thing I notice is missing is S3 suspend-to-RAM. When I run sysctl hw.acpi.supported_sleep_state it returns

Code:
hw.acpi.supported_sleep_state: S4 S5

I don't really want to suspend the machine to disk on lid close (and this doesn't seem to work as expected anyway, the machine simply shuts down).

Does anyone know if there's something I can try to see if I can get S3 suspend working? I checked on the Wiki but there's no entry for this laptop model.

Attachments

• dmesg.txt
    13.6 KB · Views: 85
Hi everyone,

I managed to get FreeBSD 13.1-RELEASE-p5 installed on my 2020 Dell XPS 13 9310 yesterday with some help from the IRC room. Apart from the WiFi not working initially (due to user error) everything went fine. The one thing I notice is missing is S3 suspend-to-RAM.

That's a big thing missing ...

When I run sysctl hw.acpi.supported_sleep_state it returns

Code:
hw.acpi.supported_sleep_state: S4 S5

That's very odd for a modern laptop. Does it have the most recent BIOS update?

Does it show any different when running on battery?

I guess you've tried # acpiconf -s3?

I don't really want to suspend the machine to disk on lid close (and this doesn't seem to work as expected anyway, the machine simply shuts down).

S4 doesn't work on any but a few ancient machines that supported 's4bios'. However closing lid shutting down is also strange unless it's been set to do that. Please show:

sysctl -a | grep dev.acpi_ | egrep 'state|wake'
sysctl hw.acpi | grep state

Does anyone know if there's something I can try to see if I can get S3 suspend working? I checked on the Wiki but there's no entry for this laptop model.

Hopefully someone does, or you may have to dig into Dell or Linux forums? Good luck.

That's very odd for a modern laptop. Does it have the most recent BIOS update?
While you'll be investigating this you might also want to scout your BIOS/EFI options in general. I have seen some odd-ball stuff from "mainstream laptop manufacturers" where S3 needed to be enabled manually.

While you'll be investigating this you might also want to scout your BIOS/EFI options in general. I have seen some odd-ball stuff from "mainstream laptop manufacturers" where S3 needed to be enabled manually.
Rather discouragingly, I went through the UEFI setup and then to the Dell forums, where I learned they've actually removed S3 suspend to RAM functionality.

Back