support for creation date – st_birthtime – in Dolphin, GNOME Files and other applications

st_birthtime as shown in the FreeBSD manual page for stat(1)

I see:
For cohesive behaviour of the desktop environment with a diversity of applications, what other areas will require attention?

I think of Open … and Save … dialogues, and of GNOME Files x11-fm/nautilus, which I often use when working around issues with Dolphin. What else?

Related

In The FreeBSD Forums, post 12 under finding the creation date

In Ubuntu areas, various discussions were closed, some without a satisfactory conclusion. A handful from 2008 onwards:
– and captured in the Wayback Machine, two of the brainstorms that were mentioned in an early discussion:
Last but not least, from statx() v3 [LWN.net] (2016-11-30):

Some developments just take a long time to truly come to fruition. That has proved to be the case for the proposed statx() system call …

… information relevant to files now, including generation and version numbers, file creation time, encryption status, whether they are stored on a remote server, and so on. …

– that might help to explain the dissatisfaction :)

⚙ D5138 Fill UDS_CREATION_TIME with the value of st_birthtime on FreeBSD led to commit R241:16f69a5d0d55 on 2017-04-17.

For Linux, the following KDE bugs remain open:
Dolphin 17.07.90 on FreeBSD-CURRENT

2017-08-18 05:23:10.png

FreeBSD 12.0-CURRENT #0 r320869: Mon Jul 10 13:57:55 UTC 2017 root@releng3.nyi.freebsd.org:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC

Minor issues:
  • there sometimes appear gaps in the Created column, sometimes not filled by a refresh
  • it'll be nice to gain a way of formatting the Accessed, Created and Modified columns (in the meantime, I like the 2017-07-18T06:37:00 style).
The Properties dialogue already uses consistent formatting for all three timestamps:

2017-08-18 06:23:23.png

Not recently, but occasionally I saw metadata suggesting that a file was modified before it was created (logically impossible) but I'm almost certain that was not an issue with Dolphin or KDE; the same weirdness was observed with Lumina, last year, in the first screenshot under Insight shows the wrong date of creation · Issue #336 · trueos/lumina.

Back