suggestions to recover a port removed - graphics/dore

Is there an archive to get the last version of a depreciated port? This built fine for me in 7.x. I want to use it again, but the logs state that the 'upstream is no longer available'. Any recommendations on how to get this port back, I understand it's unsupported.

Perhaps I could become maintainer, this is a really cool piece, its a supercomputer graphics package for the Ardent Cray class graphics computer.

Randy

thanks, can I get another hint?

OK I looked at the portdowngrade docs, looks like a great solution. But I am still kind of stuck on how to point it or CVS to the attic subdirectory. Would you be so kind as to give me a command line, this is my first time using either tool.

Yep, I'm a noob and reading, I think you have the right idea. Everything ever in ports should be available in a CVS repository.

Randy

randyd said:
OK I looked at the portdowngrade docs, looks like a great solution.

But I am still kind of stuck on how to point it or CVS to the attic subdirectory.

Would you be so kind as to give me a command line, this is my first time using either tool.

Yep, I'm a noob and reading, I think you have the right idea. everything ever in ports should be available in a CVS repository.

Randy

There are instructions on building the software in the README file in Dore-6.01 folder.

randyd said:
OK I looked at the portdowngrade docs, looks like a great solution.

But I am still kind of stuck on how to point it or CVS to the attic subdirectory.

Would you be so kind as to give me a command line, this is my first time using either tool.

Yep, I'm a noob and reading, I think you have the right idea. everything ever in ports should be available in a CVS repository.

Install ports-mgmt/portdowngrade like any other port. Follow the instructions it shows to give it a default anoncvs server. When you run it, it will show a list of available revisions of a port that can be checked out. The first one on that list should be the most recent. I haven't tested this with a removed port, but still expect it to work.

If that doesn't work, just download the files from the Attic manually. Make a directory for the port in the ports tree, and build/install like a normal port. Or fix it if it doesn't build and install.

Thanks wblock, path is my problem

Your post was great, I dug in and got portdowngrade to work with a known good port:
I had not set DEFAULT_CVS_SERVER as a make argument, and now can get to a repository.

Code:
portdowngrade ls
Seeking port ls ... 

Found several matches:
1: archivers/aolserver-nszlib

.... and forever, so it's working.

So tool works and can get things, repository path OK.

One fix for everybody is to be sure to build the port index with
Code:
cd /usr/ports
make fetchindex

(from your previous posts here on the topic!)
portdowngrade depends on it.

But, to my current problem, reccovering dore:

portdowngrade dore

or a

portdowngrade graphics/dore/Attic

yields

Code:
seeking port graphics/dore/Attic ... not found
Do do you have a idea on how to point to the attic path, give me a command line syntax for dore?

Thanks so much,

Randy

It appears that portdowngrade doesn't have any other way to refer to a port except by looking in the current /usr/ports. So manually create the last version:

Code:
# mkdir /tmp/dore
# cd /tmp/dore
# cvs -d anoncvs@anoncvs.tw.FreeBSD.org:/home/ncvs co -r 1.3 -j 1.28 ports/graphics/dore
# cd ports/graphics/dore
# rm -rf .#Makefile.1.3 CVS
# cd ..
# mv dore /usr/ports/graphics/dore
# cd
# rm -rf /tmp/dore

There's probably an easier way to do that, but this works.

Back