Suggesting a new port (hfsfuse, a FUSE driver for HFS+ filesystems)

I would like to suggest a new port, hfsfuse, a FUSE driver for HFS+ filesystems.

I tried to edit the page on the wiki, while logged in with my account, but the wiki says "immutable page", and I can't find a way to edit it.

Is there something one needs to do in order to have my account enabled to edit pages on the wiki?

I would like to suggest a new port, hfsfuse, a FUSE driver for HFS+ filesystems.
I suggest you start, I'm sure people are willing to help out. But you have to put in some effort yourself. Ports don't magically appear because someone put in a request. Ports are created by individuals, in their spare time, and are maintained by the community.

FreeBSD Porter's Handbook

Thank you SirDice, very much appreciated.

I always wanted to be an active part of FreeBSD community. But it will take some time for me to be up to par with submitting (and maintaining) a port.

In the meanwhile, I hope somebody will adopt this proposal, as it is useful to anybody who needs to access HFS+ drives without having a mac.

I am grateful for the encouragement, I will try (but if anybody wish to do it, please do so, do not wait for a beginner).

Have you tried building and using this? I was actually just looking for something that would allow me to mount a HFS+ drive.

If it works, I could possibly whip up a port for it, as I have maintained ports in the past. But I'm not really wanting to maintain one now.

Have you tried building and using this? I was actually just looking for something that would allow me to mount a HFS+ drive.

Yes, I have compiled it and it works nicely.
Code:
cd <src-dir>
gmake config
gmake
gmake install

Then, something like this will mount a HFS+ formatted disk

Code:
hfsfuse /dev/da1p2 /media/mac-hd

priyadarshan ,
I've been going to add something like this for a good while. While I had intended to accomplish this by way of a kernel module in $BASE. I'd be more than willing to whip up a port for this. But this assumes that you'd be willing to maintain it. Which also assumes that you're wiling to learn what it takes to maintain this port. :)
Don't be afraid. It's a lot easier than it looks, and I'd be more than willing to provide you with assistance. I'd maintain it myself. But, as I'm already maintaining over 100 ports already. I think my plate is as full as I can handle right now. :rolleyes:
I'll cobble up the port, and post back here, tomorrow.

--Chris

Hi Chris,

I will do my best, but I will definitely need assistance. Thank you for yours and SirDice encouragement, it means a lot.

But please, consider to have similar fuctionality as a kernel module in $BASE. It would be quite useful to many.

Hi, let me know if I can do anything to make the build process better for the port (configuration is a bit unusual). It should be fairly easy to maintain as the project and HFS+ itself are more or less complete and in maintenance mode already, so the main things to watch would be changes to libfuse and other FreeBSD system related updates. At the time I considered attempting to add a kernel module based on the same NetBSD one, but went with FUSE due to the portability and my own unfamiliarity with developing in the kernel. Submitting a port would have been at the top of my list of things to do, but I'm not running FreeBSD in a regular capacity currently so wouldn't be an effective maintainer. But FreeBSD was my primary use case for this driver and I fully intend to keep supporting it / will gladly work on any compatibility issues that would come up.

If that build and run fine should be a breeze to port. I may do it during the weekend if I have time; however I have absolute nothing that use HFS+ to test it against to, and so I would not maintain in the tree.

If it helps, it is fairly easy to verify without a hardware partition as most mac software is distributed in disk images (for example the osxfuse installer) containing an HFS+ filesystem, which can be mounted as described here. I should add some automated tests to the repo along these lines so that it can be done without relying on external resources though.

Hi everybody,

when I read about hfsfuse, I added support for HFS+ to sysutils/dsbmd. Everything is set up, but users have to manually install hfsfuse. Is there any progress in porting hfsfuse? I would like to add a run-time dependency option to dsbmd's port Makefile.

Best regards,
Marcel

Adding my own words of thanks here. I started working on this driver while dual-booting FreeBSD on an older MacBook in 2013, as a way to share data from the other side. The use case is probably a bit different now, but I'm glad that in the present day that will be possible with a simple pkg install!

This port isn't useful for me but I still enjoy this to no end. Talk about a true community effort!

Thanks for your help everyone, this is a classic example of what defines the FreeBSD community to me!

Back