Substitute For Audacity

Hello everyone I am very pleased with FreeBSD. I just can't find a substitute for audacity. I just need something to eliminate noise with. Thanks so much Delete if not allowed. I am still new.

Yes I am well aware also, thanks for taking the time to read my post. I am unhappy with the recent changes to audacity.

Thanks ill have to check it out I think that was the one I had tried to install from source earlier. But. I will have to look into it. Couldn't fix the errors and couldn't figure out what dependencies it needed I was able to figure out two but not the library -lSM problem.

audio/ardour6
Ardour is a digital audio workstation. You can use it to record, edit, and mix multi-track audio. Produce your own CD's. Mix video soundtracks. Experiment with new ideas about music and sound. Generate sound installations for 12 speaker gallery shows.

Ardour capabilities include: multichannel recording, non-linear, non- destructive region based editing with unlimited undo/redo, full automation support, a mixer whose capabilities rival high end hardware consoles, lots of plugins to warp, shift, and shape your music, and controllable from hardware control surfaces at the same time as it syncs to timecode. If you have been looking for a tool similar to ProTools, Nuendo, Cubase SX, Digital Performer, Samplitude, or Sequoia, you might have found it.

Then let's remove Chromium and Firefox to begin with...
I was thinking of one day becoming a maintainer and porting Palemoon and its associated email client, with a cleaned up substitute for Gecko, that only calls on the gtk version it needs, without requiring the gtk version it's not written for.

Also, Thunderbird has a nice application called deskutils/birdtray that allows me to dock it and control it better from the bar tray, which would be good to fork or use for the email client associated with Palemoon.

Better remove that port entirely before this happens. Spyware has no place in FreeBSD.
A: At this point, it seems very clear that Audacity is not spyware. How do I know that? I know that it is on the list of software that employees at several very large computer companies that are super privacy focussed are allowed to run on their work machines. Furthermore, several people have examined the source code of Audacity and found that it does not report anything, other than properly anonymized crash and update reports.

B: But even if Audacity were to report usage information back (which is what you would call "spyware"), you don't get to dictate what software other people should be able to run conveniently on their machine. You are free to not install "spyware" on your machine, but please don't try to dictate what other people get to do or not do.

Disclaimer: I have never run Audacity, nor do I plan to do so in the near future. This is about principle, not a specific example.

They want to run something else. It's as simple as that. The license allows a fork, and it seems for whatever reasons, many prefer that.

The company can keep proprietary versions plus benefits from the GPL code. That doesn't have to affect the way the Opensource community implements Audacity forks. For some, there's an objection that the company that owns it is the only one that can choose to keep its adjustments to itself.

At this point, it seems very clear that Audacity is not spyware.

you don't get to dictate what software other people should be able to run conveniently on their machine
Of course. But i am free to tell what i am thinking about it.

A: At this point, it seems very clear that Audacity is not spyware. How do I know that? I know that it is on the list of software that employees at several very large computer companies that are super privacy focussed are allowed to run on their work machines.
Though millions of users at very large companies also run Windows. These days I would absolutely classify that as spyware going onto malware. Any software that does not operate 100% in the interests of the user is effectively malware.

The new owners of Audacity have made it very clear that they will be adding functionality to Audacity that does not benefit the user and that the telemetry is hidden enough that people are unable to turn it off.

For a complete rebuttal, read https://librearts.org/2021/07/audacity-privacy/

And: Most Linux builds of Audacity are compiled without the error reporting / upgrade checking anyway. That's why even highly privacy-sensitive organizations are allowing Audacity to be run inside. They allowed that after checking the source code of their builds and internal repositories.

Though millions of users at very large companies also run Windows. These days I would absolutely classify that as spyware going onto malware. Any software that does not operate 100% in the interests of the user is effectively malware.
Sorry, but your viewpoint is so ludicrous as to become meaningless. Microsoft's software operates 100% in the interest of Microsoft. Anything else would be silly. If you install software written by Alice, Bob and Charlie, it operates in the interest of Alice, Bob and Charlie. Now, in our world you are free to enter into a contract with Alice, Bob and Charlie, read and understand that contract, and then decide whether you can find a situation in which both you and Alice/Bob/Charlie have advantages. That's what interactions between people are all about (we do better together than individually), and in most societies, contract law is the vehicle through which we organize such mutual benefit.

If you don't like the software and contract that Microsoft offers, feel free to not use it. The sheer fact that about 90% of all computer users disagree (and there are very many very smart people among those) demonstrates that your opinion is either outright wrong, or you are in a small minority as far as your requirements are concerned.

Simply saying "Microsoft = spyware + malware" without any evidence is just foaming at the mouth.

The new owners of Audacity have made it very clear...
Wrong. The new owners of Audacity have massively back-pedaled and explained. Please try to keep up-to-date on the news.

These following aren't for complex recording or mixing. audio/xwave is only useful for basic recording. It uses Athena, and is very primitive. There's also audio/sox which is a terminal line application for recording, playing sounds and very basic mixing. I've done basic editing with sox: trimming parts out of music and changing the speed, and changing file formats.

As for Ardour, it has more advanced capabilities than Audacity. Ardour is really meant for mixing, while Audacity is mostly for podcasts and simple recordings. Some complex mixing can be made with Audacity, but Ardour is made for more complexity. Its interface may be a bit more complicated than Audacity though.

kpedersen said:
Any software that does not operate 100% in the interests of the user is effectively malware.

At first glance, that's correct. Please note, that providing personal data to law enforcement bodies may at some point be in the interest of the user as well. For instance, when his bank account is emptied as a result of phishing. The user has personal interests, there are common interests and there are the interests of the owners of the software. Frankly, I don't see much wrong in the case of Audacity.

Microsoft's software operates 100% in the interest of Microsoft.
Originally I was being a little self-righteous but now when I think about this vs some bitcoin miner malware that provides the user with some fancy mouse cursors, I actually cant see the difference. The user likes the mouse cursors (so entered the contract) but the unknown part of the software (the scummy miner) is malware. I don't see how this is different to the "useful" parts of Windows vs the scummy parts.
The sheer fact that about 90% of all computer users disagree (and there are very many very smart people among those)
Without getting too political, a huge proportion of the world also agreed with slavery. There is no such thing as "common knowledge" being correct. The majority really *can* be wrong.

Wrong. The new owners of Audacity have massively back-pedaled and explained.
They have actually already backpedaled a number of times. Usually once they get caught. But they will keep trying until they slowly erode the trust in that software. It is a little naïve to think that they have seen the light and everything is happy again ;)

I wonder if it would be possible to buy the rights to an early implementation of a software as far as 1.0 release, and give it an Apache license. I wonder if Ardour rights from any previous version can be bought for it to be Apache, so if it's sold later, the rights of one version won't be heavily under one company like Audacity is now. If I were rich, I wouldn't rely on waiting to buy only from one, as from demand, they may want to raise the price more than its value. Come to think of it, Audacity won't do that, because the Apache has a clause about suing for rights of it, while they own it, unless it's dual licensed in a way that doesn't interfere with their rights to it. They obviously want to own it, and that can take away more than they want. Ardour already does more than what Audacity does. For simplicity or for the style that's simple like Audacity, maybe it can be forked only for that, as GPL suffices for the foreseeable future.

Even improve upon or fork kwave or xwave, that just record and play sound. xwave may sound far fetched to some, but for recording basic things, it's enough. It's like the Wav Player on the old MS Windows, with a more crude window. From the book of Audacity, it's mostly for podcasts, basic recordings, and basic editing.

I don't see how this is different to the "useful" parts of Windows vs the scummy parts.
You must need another vaccine shot.

There is no such thing as "common knowledge" being correct. The majority really *can* be wrong.
The Principals of GroupThink a fascinating topic I plan to cover on my blab site. I believe you will agree once recognized as it happens on cable TV News.

And if you disagree, I'll shame you publicly, discredit you personally and before you know it you'll be apologizing for being born.

They have actually already backpedaled a number of times. Usually once they get caught. But they will keep trying until they slowly erode the trust in that software. It is a little naïve to think that they have seen the light and everything is happy again
The light was uncomfortable and why they backpedaled. That it wasn't uncomfortable enough why it's happened more than once.

ardour is not a replacement for audacity. For me Audacity works as the SoundForge of opensource world and it's so good.
For now I'm just 'pkg install audacity'

I hope maintainer just elect some fork and keep it going. Audacity depends upon some unmaintained ports (sord lv2 sratom suil lilv)

Long life to audacity or whatever name/fork it gets

Back