Subscribe

I am going to do an FCP.
[IRONY] You will never guess what it is about. [/IRONY]

Having followed the instructions at:

It does say:
If the author lacks a GitHub account or needs assistance they SHOULD contact fcp-editors@freebsd.org.
And I will also need to send to fcp@freebsd.org .

It seems as though fcp-editors@freebsd.org needs subscribing to.

So I follow the instructions at:

There is nowhere to subscribe to either of the two mailing lists.

[IRONY] Quite convoluted this FCP process. [/IRONY]

Has anyone ever done an FCP? Ever, ever, EVER ?

How do you How do I subscribe to fcp-editors@freebsd.org and fcp@freebsd.org ?

This approach to community proposals made sense at the time, however I suspect that it has been largely forgotten (maybe because this type of use of GitHub is not ideal for so diverse a community).

Please see, for example:

This approach to community proposals made sense at the time, however I suspect that it has been largely forgotten (maybe because this type of use of GitHub is not ideal for so diverse a community).

Am I supposed to join github (done), and then within freebsd/fcp/issues create a new issue and drag my markdown file into place?

Will anyone (apart from you) see it? Let alone those in charge who may be able to act on it.

Your thread Subscribe was moved to a different forum.

Thank you for moving my thread. Especially if it was in the wrong place. (I am not really sure where it is now.)

I assume it was moved by the moderators, who I would also assume have a good supplemental knowledge of Freebsd, related mailing lists, community proposals and such. And I also assume (yes lots of assumptions here) that having moved this thread, you have actually read it. Well. [respectfully] Got any ideas then? [/respectfully]

By the way, none of these BB codes seem to have an effect:
[respectfully]
[irony]
[sarcasm]
[despair]

Thank you for moving my thread. Especially if it was in the wrong place. (I am not really sure where it is now.)
The "Feedback" section is for feedback on the forums itself. As this has nothing to do with the forums it had no place there. As I had no other place that would fit it got moved to "Offtopic".

Will anyone (apart from you) see it? Let alone those in charge who may be able to act on it.
Warner Losh (imp@) was the driving force behind the idea of FCPs, as a potential way to move "calls for comment" off the mailing lists and into something more formal/more visible.

Uptake was not what I personally would have hoped. You'd have to ask imp for his intentions going forwards.

… so far not received a reply.

Without me wishing to know what's in the e-mail: for anyone who wonders about community processes, what's below should be of interest.

– cross-posted to <https://old.reddit.com/r/freebsd/comments/pgrq0s/-/>. From the quote in post 2, with added emphasis:

… we’re explicitly inviting all members of the FreeBSD community to participate so that more members of the community can more easily contribute to the project. …

Incidentally:

– there's the phrase "(read-only mirror)", however this is not entirely true; see for example <https://github.com/freebsd/freebsd-src/pull/543#pullrequestreview-769601565> and the subsequent comment from Warner Losh.

It seems as though the infrastructure to submit a proposal is significantly cumbersome and impermeable.

In any case, most definitely more complex than the proposed proposal.

FreeBSD Community Proposals​

From <https://lists.freebsd.org/archives/freebsd-hackers/2022-April/000987.html>:

… the mailing lists associated with the FreeBSD Community Proposal ("FCP") process have been decommissioned. We were optimistic about the process, but after five years it hasn't really caught on in the community.

This core team will not be attempting to hastily replace the FCP in What time we have left, but we hope that the next core will take this experience and lead the project into a solution that fills the same gap.

Thanks,

Kyle Evans (core_at_)

Back