su root

hello Forum,

I am wondering about the behaviour in my terminal. As a normal user, I normally can only switch to root if I am in the wheel group. But when I check my group association with "groups", I am currently only in my own usergroup (groups gives me "killerkim" only in the shell). Why can I although switch to root? I must say, I have switched the user into the wheel group, but used pw groupmod to cancel the groupb membership because of security reason.

You need to log out and back in again for the 'new' group memberships to activate. Same deal when removing groups.

I did logout and restart, etc. I can stil su as root, although I am not in the group "wheel". Could it be a bug perhaps? How can I see, which members the group "wheel" has?

Also check /etc/pam.d/su:
Code:
# auth
auth            sufficient      pam_rootok.so           no_warn
auth            sufficient      pam_self.so             no_warn
auth            requisite       pam_group.so            no_warn [b]group=wheel[/b] root_only fail_safe
auth            include         system

SirDice said:
Also check /etc/pam.d/su:
Code:
# auth
auth            sufficient      pam_rootok.so           no_warn
auth            sufficient      pam_self.so             no_warn
auth            requisite       pam_group.so            no_warn [b]group=wheel[/b] root_only fail_safe
auth            include         system

I have the same lines in my /etc/pam.d/su file. pw groupshow wheel gives me wheel:*:0:
Does the star mean, that everyone can su as root?

thx

I am still wondering, because the handbook says, that only members from the wheel membership can su as root?

killerkim said:
pw groupshow wheel gives me wheel:*:0:
And after that? Don't you have root?

killerkim said:
Does the star mean, that everyone can su as root?
No it stands for the group's "password".

killerkim said:
I am still wondering, because the handbook says, that only members from the wheel membership can su as root?
That's right.

@beasti: I don't want my user to be able to switch to root. But he can stil su as root, although he is not in the wheel group.

You haven't answered my question: do you have root after wheel:*:0: (i.e. wheel:*:0:root,...) or not? It's possible /etc/group is corrupt. Just a wild guess...

Beastie said:
You haven't answered my question: do you have root after wheel:*:0: (i.e. wheel:*:0:root,...) or not? It's possible /etc/group is corrupt. Just a wild guess...

No, there is only
wheel:*:0:

Not
wheel:*:0:root

?? Seems, my group file is corrupt?

I now tried

Code:
pw groupmod wheel -m root

Now the wheel entry in groupfile is
Code:
wheel:*:0:root

My normal users can't su as root anymore :)

Back