Strange box appears when loading the FreeBSD installer

I've been trying to figure out this issue for quite some time now but couldn't find anything online relating to it. I'm brand new to BSD but I do have a lot of experience with Linux-based systems. I have no issues booting into and using Linux or Windows 10 on this system.

When I attempt to load any installer for any BSD derivative all I see is this small blue box which appears after a few seconds (As seen in the attached image). From what I've read it sounds like this box may be the installer but it's impossible to tell due to it's size.

The system I was trying this on is a corebooted ThinkPad T430, and attempting to boot using the SeaBIOS payload (Meaning I'm loading it with legacy boot). Besides BSD possibly having issues with coreboot or legacy boot, I have no idea what the problem could be.

Here are some other details that could be useful:
It's running coreboot 24.02.01
It has an i5-3230M CPU and is using the integrated graphics (HD Graphics 4000)
It has 8GB of DDR3 RAM
It has been cleaned of Intel ME using me_cleaner
It has a 1366x768 display
I used Balena Etcher to write the installer image onto my USB flash drive

Attached below includes my coreboot build config, and built rom (For the ThinkPad T430, obviously). I'm comfortable with changing settings and reflashing if it's necessary to fix any issues.

Attachments

• PXL_20240701_060434246_optimized.png
    PXL_20240701_060434246_optimized.png
    579.6 KB · Views: 63
  • coreboot.conf
    20.1 KB · Views: 12
  • rom.zip
    570.9 KB · Views: 6
Set your BIOS to UEFI and try again without any coreboot ; legacy boot or other shims.

FreeBSD-14.1-RELEASE-amd64-memstick.img
I don't think you understand what coreboot is. In order to use UEFI I need to rebuild my coreboot ROM using a different payload that supports UEFI (As SeaBIOS does not). And as much as I'd love to do that, I have absolutely no idea how to get EDK 2 working (Which appears to be the only option with UEFI support).

There was discussion of coreboot difficulties in 2021, reportedly addressed in STABLE.

Which one? (Please name the file.)

For a USB thumb drive, it need not be the memstick file.

If, like Rufus, there's an option to write in a dd-like way, please do so.

(Release documentation demonstrates use of dd.)
I tried memstick, dvd and bootonly, they all have the same issue.

And after trying to flash it using dd itself I'm still facing the same issue.

Back