Status of multipath TCP support on FreeBSD 12+

Hi guys,

my boss is talking about live video streaming using multi-path backup mode. I've gathered that FreeBSD is multipath TCP capable using an extension, but I'm wondering if that extension has been merged into the kernel or, if not, if it is compatible with the latest kernel versions. Can't seem to find any relevant piece of information about this.

If someone knows, I'd be forever beholden to them. :)

Cheers,
Vincent

If no one answer you here you could try asking on the mailing lists.

If you mean automatic failover via CARP? Yes, that's supported for several years now. It can be combined with LACP, IIRC the latter even has a special mode to support a propriatary mode used by Cisco equipment? See carp(4) & lagg(4) & consult the Handbook (scroll to the top of this page).

I've tried searching for it but apart from an old experimental patch for HEAD (which was 11.0 at that time) I haven't found anything.

Reading the wikipedia article I did notice SCTP is mentioned as an alternative. Now that is supported, sctp(4).

If you mean automatic failover via CARP?
No, that's something else entirely.

Ok, thanks to everyone. I shall consider sctp
If you mean automatic failover via CARP? Yes, that's supported for several years now. It can be combined with LACP, IIRC the latter even has a special mode to support a propriatary mode used by Cisco equipment? See carp(4) & lagg(4) & consult the Handbook (scroll to the top of this page).
And no, this is not CARP. We have to live-stream videos from "field" locations, where typically no fibre, and probably no ADSL connection, is available. To try and avoid any loss that may occur if we use a single 4G channel, we would like to stream through a device with 2/3/4 SIMS, each one tied to a different operator. If the stream experiences unbearable jitter or lost packets with the current selected operator, we switch to another operator, etc. But that means the packets can arrive out of order, thereby the need to use MPTCP to reorder them before forwarding them to a streaming platform such as YouTube or Vimeo.

… and Bob's your uncle :)

Cheers and thanks for your input!

Brilliant! Thank you for locating this archive!

I downloaded the archived files, and attempted to untar them. Looks like I have some work to do; the repository untar failed with a "Hard-link target './.hg/undo.dirstate' does not exist." error. I'll work to sort this out and report back if I succeed.

sjac

I became interested in MPTCP support in FreeBSD, and decided to investigate. I compiled the information I found on a web page:

I hope it proves useful.

sjac
My eyes!
screenshot.jpg

Back