Static IP address assignment practice

I may be in error to post this question under "Networking", please excuse my ignorance:

My customer ordered Internet service from a large, nationwide ISP with static IP address (customer runs servers in-house). The configuration in the modem/router/AP supplied by the ISP shows the IP address type "Dynamic" and the space where one would enter the static IP address is greyed out. The modem/router/AP must have been pre-configured, or remotely configured by the ISP.

Should I assume that my customer has been assigned a reserved DHCP address? Is it common practice by ISPs to assign "static" IP addresses this way? Should I care (as long as the IP address stays static)?

I may be behind the times; in the past I always had to enter by hand the static IP address, mask and gateway.

That is how my ISP provides my static IP address with a reserved DHCP address but to be sure I would call the ISP like VladiBG suggested to be positive your customer is actually getting the service they wanted.

Most ISPs providing large scale Internet access have never needed their customers to manually configure a static address unless it's a dedicated business/enterprise style service (traditionally called a leased line in the UK). You just get assigned the same address each time you connect. Requiring random end users with a basic modem/router/ap to assign their own WAN settings is a recipe for support headaches.

Is it common practice by ISPs to assign "static" IP addresses this way?
If they have control over the WAN MAC by supplying the hardware (installing 802.1X certificates are also an option) or can identify ports like with DSL (not so much with cable) then yes.

Back