sshd had to be restarted after upgrade to 12.4

I upgraded two servers from 12.3-RELEASE to FreeBSD 12.4-RELEASE yesterday, and both servers allowed ssh logins initially, but then after some time ssh log in to the servers from elsewhere stopped working with messages of the form
kex_exchange_identification: Connection closed by remote host
I logged in to the servers using a keyboard and monitor and restarted the servers with
service sshd restart
and then things started working perfectly again.

I have searched with the site search and google for this message but did not find anything. I was able to solve this problem by restarting sshd so I don't need any help at the moment, but I thought it might be worth bringing up on the forum in case there is something I've missed.

It caused confusion with 13.1 and got added to those release notes:

After upgrading, sshd (from OpenSSH 8.8p1) will not accept new connections until it is restarted. After installing the new userland, either reboot (as specified in the source update procedure), or execute service sshd restart.

But perhaps the same needs to go into the 12.4 release notes.

After upgrading, sshd (from OpenSSH 8.8p1) will not accept new connections until it is restarted. After installing the new userland, either reboot (as specified in the source update procedure), or execute service sshd restart.
The persons responsible for this text might want to make it a bit more clear that it requires a second reboot after the usual freebsd-update install / reboot / freebsd-update install cycle.

The persons responsible for this text might want to make it a bit more clear that it requires a second reboot after the usual freebsd-update install / reboot / freebsd-update install cycle.

That's what this bit means:

installing the new userland ... reboot

The first freebsd-update installs the kernel, the reboot starts up with it, the second freebsd-update updates the userland - so the instructions do say to reboot after that. Or if you don't want to reboot, use service sshd restart.

But yes, making it very obvious that an extra step is required (whether reboot or service restart) would help reduce confusion, principle of least astonishment etc.

That's what this bit means:

installing the new userland ... reboot

The first freebsd-update installs the kernel, the reboot starts up with it, the second freebsd-update updates the userland - so the instructions do say to reboot after that. Or if you don't want to reboot, use service sshd restart.

But yes, making it very obvious that an extra step is required (whether reboot or service restart) would help reduce confusion, principle of least astonishment etc.

It should explicitly point out that the second "freebsd-update install" after rebooting makes the running sshd server require a restart.

Back