Solved SSH port forwarding not seem to work

1. Background

I'm trying to do the box Overpass3 from tryhackme. The box need me to set up ssh port forwarding for nfs service port 2049, port mapper port 111 and another port 20048.

2. Problem

After setting up the tunnel (command follows next) for port 2049, I didn't catch any TCP traffic in wireshark when issuing the command showmount -e localhost (TCP traffic should be captured indicating that port 111 is unreachable and I should proceed settting up the next tunnel for port 111), only ICMP ones. It makes me doubt if the port forwarding is actually working. And, I've tested to set up all three tunnels, and then issue the same showmount command, still only ICMP traffic is captured in wireshark. I don't know what's going wrong here.

3. System setup

To access tryhackme box I have a openvpn running.

No other proxies are running on my system.

Result of ifconfig:

Code:
em0: flags=8802<BROADCAST,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
        options=81249b<RXCSUM,TXCSUM,VLAN_MTU,VLAN_HWTAGGING,VLAN_HWCSUM,LRO,WOL_MAGIC,VLAN_HWFILTER>
        ether 00:26:2d:f3:db:99
        media: Ethernet autoselect
        nd6 options=29<PERFORMNUD,IFDISABLED,AUTO_LINKLOCAL>
lo0: flags=8049<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 16384
        options=680003<RXCSUM,TXCSUM,LINKSTATE,RXCSUM_IPV6,TXCSUM_IPV6>
        inet6 ::1 prefixlen 128
        inet6 fe80::1%lo0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x2
        inet 127.0.0.1 netmask 0xff000000
        groups: lo
        nd6 options=21<PERFORMNUD,AUTO_LINKLOCAL>
wlan0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
        ether 00:24:d7:60:b1:ec
        inet 192.168.1.103 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.1.255
        groups: wlan
        ssid yingyuetp channel 1 (2412 MHz 11g ht/40+) bssid f4:83:cd:34:87:53
        regdomain FCC country US authmode WPA2/802.11i privacy ON
        deftxkey UNDEF AES-CCM 2:128-bit AES-CCM 3:128-bit txpower 30 bmiss 10
        scanvalid 60 protmode CTS ampdulimit 64k ampdudensity 8
        -amsdutx amsdurx shortgi -stbc -ldpc -uapsd wme roaming MANUAL
        parent interface: iwn0
        media: IEEE 802.11 Wireless Ethernet MCS mode 11ng
        nd6 options=29<PERFORMNUD,IFDISABLED,AUTO_LINKLOCAL>
tun0: flags=8051<UP,POINTOPOINT,RUNNING,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
        options=80000<LINKSTATE>
        inet6 fe80::226:2dff:fef3:db99%tun0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x4
        inet 10.9.166.189 --> 10.9.0.1 netmask 0xffff0000
        groups: tun
        nd6 options=21<PERFORMNUD,AUTO_LINKLOCAL>
        Opened by PID 84381

SSH config all set to default.

No firewall involved.

4. Command used

ssh -N -L 2049:127.0.0.1:2049 -i priv_key user@box-ip
sudo ssh -N -L 111:127.0.0.1:111 -i priv_key user@box-ip
showmount -e localhost

Then try to capture traffic on interface loopback in wireshark.

5. Screenshots

Result of sockstat -l to confirm that the specific port is being listened locally.

pasted_image.png

Command showmount -e localhost, only ICMP traffic is captured even the tunnel for port 2049 and 111 are both set.

pasted_image001.png

6. Other test

I've try the same approach on kali linux, it's working fine. But my daily OS is freebsd, just trying to figure out what I did wrong. Need some help here.

Thanks a lot!

Port 2049 is for NFSv4. showmount(8) and port 111 is for NFSv3. NFSv3 works by using RPC to open a dynamic port. You can check the functionality of port 111 with the rpcinfo(8) command.

Port 2049 is for NFSv4. showmount(8) and port 111 is for NFSv3. NFSv3 works by using RPC to open a dynamic port.
Thanks SirDice. But what's the difference here by running showmount on freebsd and on linux. I don't kown what's exactly behind the scene but they should all issue some kind of request destined for specific IP and port. All in all, the first thing that puzzles me is why I cannot capture any TCP (or maybe UDP) traffic in wireshark. Been trying a lot of things for days.😭

But what's the difference here by running showmount on freebsd and on linux.
I suspect that NFS on FreeBSD picks a random port, as it should. On Linux it might be configured to always pick the same port as the random nature makes it rather difficult to firewall.

You can test port 111 (that's the RPC port) with a command like rpcinfo <host>. NFSv4 works differently and does all of its communication over port 2049. But you can't use showmount(8) for NFSv4, that's strictly NFSv3.

I suspect that NFS on FreeBSD picks a random port, as it should. On Linux it might be configured to always pick the same port as the random nature makes it rather difficult to firewall.
I have the following in /etc/rc.conf:
mountd_flags="-p33333"

You can test port 111 (that's the RPC port) with a command like rpcinfo <host>. NFSv4 works differently and does all of its communication over port 2049. But you can't use showmount(8) for NFSv4, that's strictly NFSv3.
Thanks. Will look into that now.

Update. Thanks again SirDice, following your instructions finally solved the problem. But yet some puzzles still remain unsolved.

Firstly, port forwarding is actually working fine. After setting up tunnel for port 111 locally to port 111 remote, doing rpcinfo -p localhost reveals all the rpc procedures on remote box.

Secondly, I need program that can specify nfs version to work, namely mount or mount_nfs to finally mount the nfs system to local machine. Oddly, with rpcinfo on remote box, it shows nfs for both version 3 and 4 are supported, yet I can only use the option -o nfsv4 to mount it. And with nfsv4 options specified, TCP traffic can be captured in wireshark, everythins good. Not sure what's going on with nfsv3, traffic seems to be engulfed by somethings:oops:

The showmount command as you have pointed out only works with nfsv3. Not sure what happens on Linux... It just works out of the box.

1618528168340.png

Anyway, it's working now. Thanks a lot!

Back