ssh doesn't work

Hi All,

I have just installed FreeBSD.
I have a linux machine too.
From linux machine I am not able to do ssh.

The following error is displayed :

Code:
[root@localhost ~]# ssh 10.130.98.107
Permission denied (publickey).
[root@localhost ~]#
Thanks,
RajaSekhar

You cannot login in as root directly with ssh. Create a user account and use su/sudo.

ssh login

I tried with this also. It fails again.

Code:
[root@localhost ~]# ssh root@10.130.98.107
[root@localhost ~]#

Thanks,

It is telling you that your public key does not have access. Have you added your public key to that account's authorized_keys file? And are root logins enabled?

rajasekhar said:
I tried with this also. It fails again.
Code:
[root@localhost ~]#
Let me rephrase that. By default you can NOT login with root directly. Login with a 'regular' user account and use su or sudo to become root.

SirDice said:
Let me rephrase that.

Since this seems to be slightly difficult to grasp, what SirDice means is the following

Code:
[rajasekhar@[color="Red"]localhost [/color]~]# ssh rajasekhar@remotehost

[rajasekhar@[color="Red"]remotehost [/color]~]# su root

... and the whole idea behind this is root account is not an user account, it's the housekeeper account. You do not use your computer as root, you do not make remote connections as root, you do not chat on IRC as root, etc.

rajasekhar said:
Code:

In addition to the comments about root logins over ssh, you also have another problem: it seems you've disabled all authentication methods except for Pubkey Authentication.

You are probably going to want to enable ChallengeResponse Authentication. (Unless you've already properly set up pubkey credentials for your user.)

Back