Sponsored by Netflix, great!

Remember this is an off topic.

I was reading again the 14.0 release notes and found something curious.

md5sum(1) and similar message-digest programs compatible with those on Linux were added by having the corresponding BSD programs run with the -r option if the program name ends in sum. 086feed850c3 (Sponsored by Netflix)

So Netflix sponsors FreeBSD development which I totally agree and there should be more sponsors like it, but users aren't able to use FreeBSD to watch Netflix series and movies because of the streaming protocol.

:(

So Netflix sponsors FreeBSD development which I totally agree and there should be more sponsors like it, but users aren't able to use FreeBSD to watch Netflix series and movies because of the streaming protocol.

Netflix doesn't own most of the content, and they have to obey the conditions set on the "rental" for them.

Also, the newest native FreeBSD browser ports have a bridge to the plugin that make Netflix and friends work.

Widevine was implemented
It's not. Somebody found a trick to run a Linux browser that included the Widevine DRM. There is NO Widevine DRM implementation for FreeBSD.

And even with the browser supporting the Widevine DRM you're still stuck on Widevine level 3, thus only SD content.

Somebody found a trick to run a Linux browser that included the Widevine DRM.
You're not fully up to date on this one, now we have www/foreign-cdm and www/linux-widevine-cdm. Yes, it's still the Linux plugin, but now it can be used from FreeBSD's chromium.

Yes, everything else remains true. But it's a lot better not needing a full Linux browser any more. The level-3 restriction is the same as on Linux btw...

Netflix doesn't own most of the content, and they have to obey the conditions set on the "rental" for them.

Also, the newest native FreeBSD browser ports have a bridge to the plugin that make Netflix and friends work.
interesting but what is the "newest native FreeBSD browser" ?

Ok, but they use FreeBSD to stream it to the devices, so they're more of a "hey isn't it great we can all run servers together" sponsor. Yes there's another part of their software stack, but that doesn't involve FreeBSD.

You're not fully up to date on this one, now we have www/foreign-cdm and www/linux-widevine-cdm.

As always, no instructions on what to do with these github things. I installed foreign-cdm find but don't know what to do after that and there are no instructions. linux-widevine-cdm isn't in my pkg database (latest) but it appears you need both to do this? Don't know and no one's saying. (Not that I tried beyond installing them, it didn't work and came here to complain.)

As always, no instructions on what to do with these github things.
There is some information at https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/...stening-to-netflix-in-2023.90695/#post-626065. Installation is almost seamless with the notable exception of requiring a browser restart. That is, the procedure can only succeed after Chromium tried and failed to play the encrypted content with everything in place. We need to investigate the CDM registration.

linux-widevine-cdm isn't in my pkg database
The license for that thing forbids redistribution. I'm not quite content with Widevine being a port vs some kind of downloader script, so that might be changed in the future. We'll see.

Back