Specify new fs block size during installation

8K is the optimal sector size for the hyper-converge platform our VMWare cluster uses. I want to set-up a new FreeBSD 10.2 VM on it. What's the best way to configure sector size while installing the OS?

Thanks!

I'm not convinced that's a good idea and would want to benchmark it with the defaults, too. Setting the filesystem block size depends on the filesystem being used. Is this for UFS or ZFS?

Good question. I was planning to set it up on UFS but now I'm thinking that ZFS is the way to go.

In any case, I would like to know how to specify sector size when installing FreeBSD. What's the magic to do that?

Thanks!

I decided to go with ZFS afterall. Is there a way to change the block size after the system is up and running. If needed, I could add a second/mirror drive to the ZFS pool, then take one off the drives offline and do what needs to be done to it.

Thanks!

With ZFS, I think you'll have to create a new pool with the desired size, then copy the data to it.

It looks like my current zpool is on /dev/da0p3:
Code:
 # zpool status
  pool: zroot
state: ONLINE
  scan: none requested
config:

NAME  STATE  READ WRITE CKSUM
  zroot  ONLINE  0  0  0
  da0p3  ONLINE  0  0  0

Swap is on /dev/da0p2. I'm not sure what /dev/da0p1 is used for.
I any case, I added /dev/da1 (same size as da0) to the system. What's the best way to set-up partitions, new zpool and copy data from /dev/da to /da1?

Thanks!

J.

I should have been more specific. You will have to create a pool with the desired block size (ashift), then copy the data to it. Partitioning and copying is a different matter, and probably should be a new thread.

Back