Sometime I can't play any videos in any browser from youtube and always from different streaming video websites.

Hello.

I'm using FreeBSD 13.3 (where I run xorg) and actually I can't play any video in any browser but it varies from a website to another. The error is :

"to play video you may need to install the required codecs"

and

The media could not be loaded, either because the server or network failed or because the format is not supported.

It happens in Firefox,for example,when I try to play some video from youtube,but not everytime. In different places it happens everytime. Someone can help ? This is what says the "Codec Support Information" of Firefox :

Code:
H264    Unsupported    Unsupported
VP9    Supported    Unsupported
VP8    Supported    Unsupported
AV1    Supported    Unsupported
HEVC    Unsupported    Unsupported
Theora    Supported    Unsupported
AAC    Unsupported    Unsupported
MP3    Supported    Unsupported
Opus    Supported    Unsupported
Vorbis    Supported    Unsupported
FLAC    Supported    Unsupported
Wave    Supported    Unsupported

I'm not experienced,but it seems that something is broken ? This is what I tried to fix it :

Code:
# pkg install openh264

Updating FreeBSD repository catalogue...
FreeBSD repository is up to date.
All repositories are up to date.
Checking integrity... done (0 conflicting)
The most recent versions of packages are already installed

# nvidia-smi

Sat Mar 16 02:15:59 2024
+-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| NVIDIA-SMI 550.54.14              Driver Version: 550.54.14      CUDA Version: N/A      |
|-----------------------------------------+------------------------+----------------------+
| GPU  Name                 Persistence-M | Bus-Id          Disp.A | Volatile Uncorr. ECC |
| Fan  Temp   Perf          Pwr:Usage/Cap |           Memory-Usage | GPU-Util  Compute M. |
|                                         |                        |               MIG M. |
|=========================================+========================+======================|
|   0  NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB    Off |   00000000:01:00.0  On |                  N/A |
| 58%   42C    P8              8W /  120W |     434MiB /   3072MiB |      0%      Default |
|                                         |                        |                  N/A |
+-----------------------------------------+------------------------+----------------------+

+-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| Processes:                                                                              |
|  GPU   GI   CI        PID   Type   Process name                              GPU Memory |
|        ID   ID                                                               Usage      |
|=========================================================================================|
|    0   N/A  N/A      6084      G   /usr/local/libexec/Xorg                       177MiB |
|    0   N/A  N/A      6185      G   xfwm4                                           2MiB |
|    0   N/A  N/A     36940      G   firefox                                       251MiB |

# kldstat | grep nvidia

11    1 0xffffffff83413000   125658 nvidia-modeset.ko
12    1 0xffffffff83600000  3117fe0 nvidia.ko

# pkg install drm-kmod

Updating FreeBSD repository catalogue...
FreeBSD repository is up to date.
All repositories are up to date.
Checking integrity... done (0 conflicting)
The most recent versions of packages are already installed

I have also disabled any extension that can interfere and I've reinstalled Firefox. It worked only for a while but then the problem came back. What else I can try ?

Just a guess because this happened to me trying Wayland with Fedora. If I remember correctly, you're using Wayland. Is that when this started? If so, you can try changing your XDG_RUNTIME_DIR to something like $HOME/.cache/run.

Again just a guess and it happened to me on Linux, not FreeBSD, so if it turns out to be a waste of time, I apologize.

Sorry,man. I forgot to say that I have several FreeBSD versions installed on different disks. In the FreeBSD 13.3 system I'm using Xorg. Anyway,I wrote this on my post :

| 0 N/A N/A 6084 G /usr/local/libexec/Xorg 177MiB |

Anyway very thanks for the help that you have tried to offer.

Back