Some programs don't starting after 12.0 to 12.1

I upgraded from 12.0 to 12.1. Handbrake and avidemux don't start. At the terminal I get "handbrake not found" and "avidemux non found". If I right-click on a video file I get the option to run it with handbrake but nothing happens if I choose handbrake. Avidemux does not show up in that menu at all. Trying to install those programs and I get most recent version already installed. I removed them and re-installed no change. I am contemplating rolling back to 12.0 but I came to see if someone has an idea regarding my troubles before rolling back.

I will appreciate a hint.

Cheers!

The docs say to do pkg-static install -f pkg. I don’t know if you also have to reinstall all packages. Something tells me you do but maybe someone who has done an upgrade can chime in. I have not.

Did you run freebsd-update install again after you upgraded the packages? This run of of freebsd-update removes old libraries and such.

You don't need to reinstall everything after a minor upgrade. Besides that, the official packages are still for 12.0 so it's rather pointless too.

Yeah, I've been bitten by that a couple of times too. Fortunately most applications use 'normal' lowercase names for executables.

If you're wondering what a package actually installs; pkg info -l handbrake

Code:
$ pkg info -l handbrake
handbrake-1.3.1:
    /usr/local/bin/HandBrake
    /usr/local/bin/HandBrakeCLI

Code:
$ HandBrake
Illegal instruction (core dumped)

It seems HandBrake is installed but I don't get the "Illegal instruction" part

The PC itself is Pentium duo, RAM is 4G with a 250G SSD. Could that be an issue? Everything worked great prior to 12.1.

The brandname "Pentium Duo" is old, and I think most of then were 32-bit architecture. Could it be that you have a mixup between 32- and 64-bit software here? Other than that, I think even in 12.X, there should be full support (including ports) for 32-bit x86 architecture, right?

Machine is 64-bit not sure about mixing software. I know I intentionally did not install anything 32-bit stuff, at least I haven't had a need that could have led me to go looking for 32-bit programs.

Thanks SirDice but out of my league. I will do some clean up on that machine this weekend. Hope that helps. I will hate to think re-installation that machine is nicely setup.

The short gist of it is that these are new instructions that are only available from a certain CPU and onward. Compilers translate source code to CPU instructions and may assume those instructions are available. When you try to run that application on a CPU that doesn't have those instructions it will throw an exception which usually results in the application crashing.

The trick is to tell the compiler it cannot use those instructions and recompile the code. In your case you could try to build HandBrake from ports.

In my quest to have HandBrake working, I rolled back to 12.0 and borked the installation completely. Which showed my lack of knowledge in all things FreeBSD. I almost gave up on the OS until I decided to install 12.1 brand new and try an all out DE instead of a WM. Everything went well and I have to say Gnome3 is showing me what I have been since I started "dabbing" into FreeBSD. I haven't used a DE for at least 10 years.

I will hang out with Gnome3 for a while until I am comfortable with this OS before migrating back to spectrwm. Right from Nautilus and I can ftp to any of my boxes and life is good.

P.S. HandBrake and Avidemux are working just fine now on Gnome3.

My apologies for giving you guys some unnecessary headaches.

Back