Some notes to improve FreeBSD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Note 1: FreeBSD now is text-mode and without GUI. I hope in the future FreeBSD gets its own GUI called "FreeBSD GUI" not GNOME nor KDE.

Note 2: The FreeBSD CD is empty and without packages, but the FreeBSD DVD is filled with important packages and without important packages. I hope FreeBSD makes a CD containing a GUI and some important packages.

Note 3: FreeBSD must get an app store to make it easy to download and get programs.

Note 4: FreeBSD must be everywhere (smartphones, tablet computers) and FreeBSD must support multi-touch with its own GUI of FreeBSD.

Note 5: FreeBSD should get tutorials to assist beginners with installation and setup or configuration of FreeBSD and try to improve the Handbook with more photos and graphics.

[ fixed 100 mistakes, and removed 75 capitals - Mod. ]

Note 6: I urge forum members to stay polite. Just pretend this was not mentioned a thousand times before and that FreeBSD developers have nothing else to worry about than programming a GUI.

#1: Reinventing a GUI is wasted effort, and why? NIH? Forcing FreeBSD users to use just one is the opposite of freedom.
#2: Choice of packages included depends on space and licenses.
#3: Already got two, ports and packages. New package system is being implemented.
#4: Okay. How do you intend to accomplish that?
#5: Please submit patches at http://www.freebsd.org/support/bugreports.html.

just-mike, Are you interested in hearing a story about how "One man's meat is another man's poison".

I'm with Alan Kay on this one. The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

So as my moderator has warned us to simply be polite my best advice to you is "Shut up and Hack!"

Lets imagine for one moment that all these changes have been made and all put into 9.0 RELEASE...

Now I post in the feedback section the following...

Note 1: FreeBSD now is GUI mode without text by default. I hope in the future FreeBSD gets rid of the silly GUI because the majority of my servers do not use one.

Note 2: The FreeBSD CD contains packages. Why on earth am I forced to download all these old RELEASE packages along with the .iso when I build from ports or install from the 9-stable packages anyway?

Note 3: The app store is... absurd. Please can you get rid of it!?!

:)

The moral of the story is.. if you cannot make everyone happy... Don't change a thing lol

I think we should form an organization here in the US and take those notes under advisement. We should call it the Major Affiliation for FreeBSD in America, or the M-A-F-I-A.

Our first order of business should be to change the name of the organization.

just-mike said:
Note 1: FreeBSD now is text-mode and without GUI. I hope in the future FreeBSD gets its own GUI called "FreeBSD GUI" not GNOME nor KDE.

If you need GUI installer, then get PC-BSD (http://pcbsd.org); it allows to install PLAIN FreeBSD with a graphical installer, so it's already available.

Note 2: The FreeBSD CD is empty and without packages, but the FreeBSD DVD is filled with important packages and without important packages. I hope FreeBSD makes a CD containing a GUI and some important packages.

Most of today's operating systems are mostly useless without a proper Internet connection, you can add any needed software by packages (pkg_add -r name) or by using FreeBSD Ports.

Note 3: FreeBSD must get an app store to make it easy to download and get programs.
This will happen as soon as it gets ported to iPhone ...

FreeBSD ALREADY have an 'APP STORE' which is called Ports here, if you need 'click to install' software, then get PC-BSD and use PBIs, which are similar to Mac OS X application.app format.

Note 4: FreeBSD must be everywhere (smartphones, tablet computers) and FreeBSD must support multi-touch with its own GUI of FreeBSD.

SAMSUNG used FreeBSD/NetNSD userland/kernel for its BADA OS, so it's already on smartphones, if SAMSUNG also puts BADA OS onto their tablets, then it's there also.

Note 5: FreeBSD should get tutorials to assist beginners with installation and setup or configuration of FreeBSD and try to improve the Handbook with more photos and graphics.

Have you tried these:
http://freebsd.org/doc/handbook/
http://freebsd.org/doc/faq/
http://freebsd.org/docs/books.html

When I said 'polite', I did not mean 'pretend the topic is something else' ;)

@just-mike
FreeBSD is great as it is now. The only thing it is now are drivers, it supports less devices than Linux. Other than that, it's awesome. If people here wanted the OS like the "improved FreeBSD" you presented, they'd choose Mac OS X, which is exactly what you wrote. The philosophy of *BSD is such that the user must do everything himself, but has control over everything. Any change in the direction of your priorities would be a change for worse.

I never missed any graphics/photos in last let say dozen years or so. May anybody provide me with few examples where you consider such addition useful please?

ondra_knezour said:
I never missed any graphics/photos in last let say dozen years or so. May anybody provide me with few examples where you consider such addition useful please?
I'm inclined to agree. Screenshots of the installation procedure are a good idea for lowtimers, but the handbook has those. Most of the other stuff is just done from the command line and I don't really see the need for photos there. Perhaps some of the more detailed sections, e.g. those on networking topics, could do with an illustrative diagram here or there and the section on X windows could maybe use a few screenshots of the different desktop environments and/or window managers that are available, but otherwise I wouldn't know what we would need any pictures for.

Fonz

vermaden said:
SAMSUNG used FreeBSD/NetNSD userland/kernel for its BADA OS, so it's already on smartphones, if SAMSUNG also puts BADA OS onto their tablets, then it's there also.

Actually, FreeBSD is already present in tablets. iOS is based on Darwin, which is based (partially) on FreeBSD.

Thanks for splitting the thread and sorry for "polluting". Would it have been polluting if we were talking about UltraSparc workstations instead, or just off topic :p

The only part of the documentation I have used that will need updating is section 2, installing FreeBSD. Sysinstall and fdisk are currently used so there is no mention of gpart or GPT formatting. There is documentation for using gpart to create a GPT-formatted drive, and there is a FreeBSD install disk/ISO available, but it installs FreeBSD-CURRENT so it is not official.

just-mike said:
Good GUIs run on almost any platform, and good platforms run almost any GUI. A FreeBSD-specific GUI is unlikely to be a good GUI.

You may want to try PC-BSD.

Must in order to do what? FreeBSD isn't at war with other operating systems.

Must be everywhere in order to do what? I wish it was a grammatical error to say things like "must" "need" "should" "ought" without somewhere having a stated goal that the fulfillment of the desirable conditions should work toward. It should sound as awkward as "I threw a rock at" or "Just imagine if."

Screenshots of plain textual UIs doesn't do anything that simply typing out the messages cannot do, unless the goal is images for the sake of images and not for the sake of improved conveyance of meaning. And if you need to browse the handbook in lynx or links, for example if you're troubleshooting why your X server won't start on your only system, you don't get to see screenshots, but you will get to see text. Unless somebody develops a compelling reason why it would be better to use graphics, I prefer it as-is.

Some users of FreeBSD write tutorials on how to install, setup, and/or secure a system. As a suggestion, it may be worth having an "unofficial" collection of these tutorials for the beginner to use as an advance- or more in depth- guideline. The Handbook is a great guideline to follow for normal maintenance.

Since I brought the idea forward, is such possible?

Not a common idea, but a printable flowchart VS wiki might be helpful. Just within the past week, for example, I finalized how I might update perl nextime it bumps, and it is way longer than UPDATING. Similarly, I've read hundreds of posts and threads on Zfs, but still am not familiar with its syntax, VS the manpage for gjournal, following which I've never had any sort of problems. *If* the bsd community, for example, had a large printable flowchart (pdf?) for ppp, ea firewall, bridging, bind, etc it may encourage persons to migrate more often, they may spend way fewer hours searching for answers on the web. Drawback: the cvs-type coordination required for a finalized version... version numbers... (Not trying to complain at all.)

Probably other issues I've not thought of yet, about the concept...

Thanks

Thanks for All Comments .. but This Topic is for the Developers of FreeBSD not The Members of This Forum . Where's The Developers Comments ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back