Some guys say: "FreeBSD's pkgng: A broken fork of Debian's a

I've noticed a lot of this anti-BSD posting on forums lately. Don't know the reasoning or purpose behind it. There can't be any financial gain except if some company, like Microsoft, has noticed a movement toward BSD.

drhowarddrfine said:
I've noticed a lot of this anti-BSD posting on forums lately. Don't know the reasoning or purpose behind it. There can't be any financial gain except if some company, like Microsoft, has noticed a movement toward BSD.
Maybe they're just crazy Linux guys without any respect in their hearts.:e

I read a similar post from that guy's blog last week and it caught me off guard too. He seems to REALLY hate BSD as all his posts are anti-BSD it seems. Wonder what his problem is anyways?

Also makes me wonder what's going on in the bigger picture as I have also noticed more BSD hate'n lately on the net. Someone must be getting scared by some BSD competition maybe.

1. The person has the right to state his or her opinion.
  2. The personal decision to accept or reject something foreign or contradictory to one's viewpoint is also such a right.
  3. If someone is ignorant, teach that person; but, if someone decides to be stupid, you can't do shit for them.

As it is said:
  1. is chance
  2. is bad luck
  3. is enemy action
It surely is interesting that these posts seem to build up.

I could come to believe that these postings come from persons who are either real zealots or maybe from some who find that Linux is growing out of their attention horizon and moving too fast in all points for them to keep track. In other words, Linux is turning to quicksand for them. Not necessarily in reality, but in perception.

Then there is this community which (mostly) gives a flying fsck for the newest super-duper flash based file system or the other better-than-sliced-bread 'user experience enhancement'. They don't use the GPL, and they still move forward and they still exist!

You simply gotta hate them. :e

Sadly, like too many Linux advocates, this anti-BSD troll is just another infantile imbecile with a religious extremist mindset who wants to destroy or kill anything that doesn't follow his own beliefs.

The concept of live and let live doesn't exist with these people. They're not happy unless they're getting their blood up on hating something.

Haha! Is he a real troller or it's just a big joke? I'm just asking...

Seriously, the guy is carefully shooting in *every* direction: Apple control of FreeBSD agenda, FBI planting back doors in OpenBSD (yes, again!), OpenBSD developers behind the 2012 hacking of the FreeBSD infrastructure, OpenBSD poor reliability, the new pkgng being a poor copy and theft of Debian apt* tools... and even Theo De Raadt's sexuality!

If somebody wants a *very* good trip to professional trolling land, go and read all his rants.

Seriously, I welcome the BSD hatred, because it is advertising. Will we lose current "customers" because of it? Not likely. BUT, even if 5 people check us out as a result, that negative advertisement could result in new users. I've done it before myself, "Why does this guy hate this thing so much? Let me go see for myself... What? That guy is a moron, this ain't too shabby!"

It's not surprising at all. The shift has been from selling software to selling services during the last five or so years. People don't want software, they want services.

kpa said:
GPL is losing popularity because of its design flaws that make it unusable in the modern world. The zealots are having a hard time adjusting to the reality.

When was the GPL ever really usable? I feel like most of the people that use it never actually read it.

A good quote from a page linked in the mailing list thread on freebsd-current:

Effect of GPLed programs on open standards development

Even taking into account a positive role that Linux played as an alternative to Microsoft OSes on Intel, the effects of Linux on open source standards are open to discussion. The key component of "open" world is not GPL software, its open standards. Development of these require research and cost a lot of money. During all ten year of its existence FSF did not contribute anything significant to the open standards (although at some point it was a minor player in C standardization and POSIX utilities).

I am thoroughly impressed with the extensive vocabulary and grammatical correctness of the replies. Torrents of information break through the mere dam that is WordPress to bring us this sacred knowledge from the High Priests of the GPL.

Hoo yay! Boo yay!

Yes, I am quite aware that everyone in the Linux community is not as narcissistic nor mentally constipated as the author of that blog.

YZMSQ said:
Maybe they're just crazy Linux guys without any respect in their hearts.:e

I really don't get why anyone would get themselves worked up enough to hate an OS. That is just odd.

FreeBSD's pkgng: A broken fork of Debian's apt-get
You don't like it? So don't use it. "No hype required" :e

the sites were BSD make gets the source code from is not scrutinized at all by the BSD projects and can be considered untrusted unlike Linux distro repositories

We don't waste time reading the source code. The patches that are applied by the "make patch" target are created "blindly". And guess what? They work. We have the best developers...

François de La Rochefoucauld said:
Mediocre minds usually dismiss anything which reaches beyond their own understanding

segfault said:
Heh, "mentally constipated".

<potshot> Hey Beavis, he said "Mentally". He. Hehe. </potshot>

Seriously, is that somewhat related to "cranically challenged"?

Back