Solved [Solved] X.org crash after pkg upgrade and freebsd-upgrade

My laptop is Fujitsu T2010(intel 965 chipset)with FreeBSD 10.0 running. I update my FreeBSD 10.0 with freebsd-update(8) to 10.0-p9. Then I run pkg update and pkg upgrade to upgrade my packages up-to-date. After these command my X window crash and I am kicked back to console.

Without X, I don't know how to paste the whole Xorg.0.log. The last few lines of my Xorg.0.log is:
Code:
(II) intel(0): xf86UnbindGARTMemory: unbind key 9
Segmentation fault: 11 at address 0x10

Fatal server error:
Caught signal 11 (Segmentation fault: 11). Server aborting

Please consult the The X.Org Foundation support
at http://wiki.x.org
for help.
Please also check the log file at "/var/log/Xorg.0.log" for additional
information.

(II) UnloadModule: "mouse"
(II) UnloadModule: "kbd"
(II) intel(0): xf86UnbindGARTMemory: unbind key 1
(II) intel(0): xf86UnbindGARTMemory: unbind key 2
(II) intel(0): xf86UnbindGARTMemory: unbind key 3
(II) intel(0): xf86UnbindGARTMemory: unbind key 4
(II) intel(0): xf86UnbindGARTMemory: unbind key 5
(II) intel(0): xf86UnbindGARTMemory: unbind key 6
(II) intel(0): xf86UnbindGARTMemory: unbind key 7
(II) intel(0): xf86UnbindGARTMemory: unbind key 8
(WW) intel(0): drmDropMaster failed: Unknown error: -1

I think some package I upgrade is the cause of X-org crash. But I don't know which one and how should I do now?

Re: X.org crash after pkg upgrade and freebsd-upgrade

Please describe the problem in more detail. Does it crash when starting X, or when running some program?

After I upgrade. I run the command
Code:
pipelight-plugin --enable flash
. Then it crash. I reboot and try to startx but I can't go into X . It shows the same error message.

Thanks Beastie, I'll check that thread.

I make a symbolic link of libpixman-1.so.0.32.4 in /usr/local/lib to libpixman-1.so.30. Then it lacks libfreetype.so.9. So I make a symbolic link of libfreetype.so.6.11 to libfreetype.so.9. Then it lacks libxcb.so.2. So I make a symbolic link of libxcb.so.1.1.0 to libxcb.so.2. Finally I can startx!! It works!!

But I'm afraid of updating my system....I don't know when will the new patch of cairo comes and if the new patch cause will cause x window crash again...

Re: [Solved] X.org crash after pkg upgrade and freebsd-upgra

I tried the downgrading of cairo package but it did not help. The Xorg.0.log file is displaying the same as shown in this thread.

Code:
exec fluxbox

This command is not connecting me to the Xdisplay. startx is giving me the two login windows and the clock.

any suggestions.

Dear @ankscorek,
the screen you describe matches to the twm window manager. You might just have to edit your ~/.xinitrc to start a different window manager. If you do not have that file you might want to edit /usr/local/etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc or copy it to ~/.xinitrc for further modifications.

Last edited by a moderator:

This has been tried out even before I posted in the forums.

When my efforts did not work out then I have posted here to check if I am missing anything basic

Back