Solved [Solved] View Active Topics not working

obsigna

Profile disabled
Please can an administrator have a look at the following thread on the phpBB Forum: 3.0.5 to 3.0.6 View Active Topics not working. This thread is from 2009, but according to many discussions on the web, the second post in said thread still shows the solution also for more recent phpBB versions. So can an admin please
edit each forum (manage forums>green cog icon) and turn it on for the ones you want to use
It should take less than a minute.

Thank you!

View Active Topics still not working

It still doesn't work! Let me guess, the admins went on holidays, after the miscarried switch from vBulletin to phpBB.

Re: View Active Topics not working

Could you implement this please. We've already reported this back in November. Since then every time I want to see the latest posts/threads, I have to check every single (sub)forum.

wblock@ said:
View New Posts works. How is View Active Topics different?

View New Posts shows the new posts since your last login, and it works only if you login.
Disadvantages:
  • You need to login.
  • You see only the new posts since your last logout.

View Active Topics shows the new posts since a user adjustable period of time, e.g. the last 24 h.
Advantages:
  • No login necessary.
  • If you logout and some time later login again, you still see the new topics of the last 24 h.

In my daily usage scenario, View New Posts is simply a stupid selector.

wblock@ said:
View New Posts works. How is View Active Topics different?
It doesn't work?! :)

Okay now more seriously, like @obsigna said, it only works when you're logged in, which then makes it redundant since there's also "View New Posts", like you said. I remember we've been over this before. This may not bother you, as a moderator who remains logged in most of the time, but it bothers us who are not often logged in and visit the forums on different machines during a day. The "WHO IS ONLINE" statistics show the overwhelming majority doesn't log in.

This feature used to be available in the old forums and worked well for many years.

Last edited by a moderator:

I did not say it doesn't bother me. The numerous failings and misfeatures of phpBB bother me and the other moderators, but we have no way to fix it.

At this point, I try to find workarounds. It has become clear that, at least for the immediate future, we are stuck with phpBB.

For more than 2 weeks now, I tested the following URL as a replacement for View Active Topics.

https://forums.freebsd.org/search.p...3&fid=23&sc=1&sf=all&sr=topics&sk=t&sd=d&st=1

It is failing at times, perhaps because it stresses the server a little bit. Most of the times it is working, though, and gives me the results that I am looking for, namely the latest active topics without needing to login. I put this URL into the favorites bar of Safari.

This one together with my FreeBSD Forums Beautifier Safari Extension saved back my ass by 90 % from the vBulletin to phpBB switch.

I'm in the process of doing this:

In 3.0.6 this has been fixed so you need to edit each forum (manage forums>green cog icon) and turn it on for the ones you want to use.

Which should demonstrate why admins want to collectively jump off of a bridge. This is how everything works in phpBB. With intermediate pages where you need to click something to proceed in between. Lovely.

Anyway, at least 40 unnecessary mouse clicks later, this feature (for which there is no explanation 1) why it is not simply on 2) why it can't simply be toggled on/off in one location) should work. Yay. :OO

Back